Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Sean. 101
Hi guys, not sure if this has been asked before but here is my current situation.

I have a PPL that was renewed 31st May 2019 which will run out again in just under 12 months. Current medical which runs out in July this year (class 2) which I will renew when social distancing is lifted.

So I was looking into the idea of turning to flying microlights as they cost roughly 50% less per hour than renting a PA38 tomahawk that I have been doing since getting my license. I only fly once a month due to the cost to keep the license going however if I enjoyed microlights enough after the required conversion with a instructor at the new school and decided to continue to rent the microlight I would be able to fly 2-3 hours a month budget wise since I only fly for fun not looking to add any night ratings etc...

If I was to let's say do 12 take off and landings from now until May 2021 in a microlight (SEP runs out on 31st) would i then need to go to another flying club and go in a Cessna or similar for 1 hour with an instructor to get my SEP renewed (before the 31st) and who would sign me off for another 2 years would it be as simple as the 1 hour at another school and them to sign the license? Just a little confused as to who would sign it off. I'm trying to avoid the GST in a microlight route if possible since I have a PPL not a NPPL.

Thanks, again sorry if its already been answered but I can't find a answer anywhere! :thumleft:
So am I correct in saying the instructor I do the 1 hour with in a Cessna for example from another school will sign it or can I do all 12 hours in a microlight (including a few hours due to the conversion with instructor) and the microlight instructor sign it off? I'm just wondering if that one hour has to be on a non microlight aircraft for me to be able to renew the SEP
Last edited by Sean. 101 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I did exactly this and haven't looked back. I bought an X-air and did over 30 hours in the first year. The GST was a non event, there was no nav to do so don't let that put you off. £60 per month hangarage and approx £25 per hour.
sabzeta liked this
By MachFlyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sean. 101 wrote:So am I correct in saying the instructor I do the 1 hour with in a Cessna for example from another school will sign it or can I do all 12 hours in a microlight (including a few hours due to the conversion with instructor) and the microlight instructor sign it off? I'm just wondering if that one hour has to be on a non microlight aircraft for me to be able to renew the SEP

I’m far from an expert in these things but I think the hour with an instructor has to be in an EASA aeroplane?

I would like to know if the same applies to a LAPL. Does the hour with an instructor still have to be in an EASA aeroplane? Can anyone advise?

Also can I use medical declaration or would I still need a LAPL medical?

Any clarity would be appreciated.
Sean. 101 liked this
By low&slow
Your SEP has to be current to be valid for microlight flying. ANO 2016, Article 150:
(1) Subject to paragraph (2), this article applies to any licence which authorises the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft and is . . .

So if your SEP expires you are not authorised to fly an SEP & therefore not authorised to fly a microlight.

You can use 3 axis microlight hours as SEP PIC time towards PPL(A) SEP revalidation & LAPL(A) SEP recency but the 1 hour training has to be in an EASA SEP. Nick Wilcock post here.

A medical declaration can be used to fly microlights as PIC, ANO 2016, Article 150:
(7) A Part-FCL licence which—
(a)authorises the holder to exercise the privileges of a Part-FCL light aircraft pilot licence or a Part-FCL private pilot licence; and
(b)is valid in all respects save that the holder does not hold a medical certificate,
is deemed to be a licence rendered valid under this Order is the requirements of paragraph (8) are satisfied.

(8) The requirements are that the holder—
(a)has made a medical declaration in accordance with article 163(3);and
(b)complies with the conditions in article 163(5).
By Irv Lee
Has anyone mentioned microlight differences training yet? It isn't a test but a little training and log book sign off - required to fly microlights using an sep rating.
Sean. 101 wrote:So if I wanted I can let my SEP expire and get the microlight rating added to the license instead?

you cannot add a microlight rating to an easa ppl.
You could get an nppl-microlight issued but would need the gst you dont want.
I would get differences training, every 2nd year fly 11 hours in a microlight, get someone to get you an hour or 2 half hours in a Pitts, Tiger Moth or Stearman every 2 years as the training hour in an sep
JAFO liked this
By Irv Lee
Sean. 101 wrote:Lovely sounds good to me :)! So after that 1 hour in EASA aircraft that's tnhe guy who needs to sign my SEP for another 2 years? Thanks guys and not a problem Mach :D

Well "the guy" would have to be a cri or fi, and would sign the log book entry first just to say the training hour has been completed, then, if you wanted him/her to ALSO sign up your sep rating for another 2 years, he/she would have a mention of fcl.945 in his/her UK easa licence and if you already had 11 hours p1 in microlights in that final year, he/she could sign your licence with a future 2 year date there an then without losing any validity period.
If you had not completed all 12 needed at the time, you could come back to (same) him/her before expiry after all flying is complete.
If no mention of fcl.945 or not a UK 945, or he/she is not to be found later, any UK flight examiner or UK class rating examiner - note, not a non-UK one, only UK approved signatories can do the licence signature for reval by experience if your licence is UK issued, even though non UK easa instructors can do the actual flight with you. (And note, quite a few 945s and examiners who work around Europe have changed to non UK licences on last 2 years)