For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
Wonderful - thank you !!!

Within Pi-Hole I was using "OpenDNS (ECS)" for both IPv4 & IPv6 - the latter being AIUI pretty irrelevant? I unticked both boxes and used a Custom 1 (IPv4) of 1.1.1.1, and it added a #53. And now I can access my Unifi CP :D
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
More than half the sessions on my router are IPv6... But yes, it's irrelevant if you're not IPv6 ready ;)

You want to add 1.0.0.1 as well if you're going to leave it configured like this (that's the fallback for 1.1.1.1
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Don't laugh, but I am about to install a small 9U "data cabinet"; it has fixing holes in the roof for a 120mm fan.

Question: Do I need to fit a fan, and if so, how best might I power it - the ones that I have seen with a (38degC???) thermal trigger need plugging in to a motherboard, something that it not available here. I would prefer not to have a fan running 24/7 if I don't need to. TIA
Rjk983 liked this
By stevelup
It'll be fine...

Monitor it? You can get ambient temp of the USG and switches from the control panel. If they are much above 40C, think about doing something. Otherwise don't bother.

If you are going to fit a fan, I'd fit a 'silent' PC one and run it at half voltage. BeQuiet are a good make and readily available - look at the Silent Wings product. Get the 12V DC one (not PWM type) and run it off a little 6V PSU. It'll keep the air moving around whilst using a few milliwatts and not making any noise at all. Don't bother with thermostatic control - totally pointless.

Haven't you consolidated those Pi's yet? ;)
By Colonel Panic
stevelup wrote:Haven't you consolidated those Pi's yet? ;)

:oops: Not yet. Downloading and installing a complete .img file for each use case (whether it be HomeBridge / Home Assistant / OctoPrint / Node-RED / HiFiBerry / Pi-Hole ) is much much easier for Numpties like me than it would be to learn my way around Raspian's file structure etc etc for me to put more than one "app" on a single Pi. But I'll get there one day!
By stevelup
It's not like they are drawing significant power... And your current method does prevent an 'all eggs in one basket' scenario.

There are some neat products for stacking PIs.
By Propwash
Could I just butt in to say that I have immensely enjoyed reading this thread even though I have barely understood a single word. It throws a little light onto what, with sufficient determination and knowledge, technology can actually be harnessed to do. Fascinating if impenetrable thread. Thank you. :lol: :wink:

PW
Colonel Panic, Flyin'Dutch', kanga and 2 others liked this
By rikur_
I'm just left wondering how much time the automation will need to save, to justify the time spent implementing it .....

[says the person who spent Sunday morning implementing remote temperature monitoring for the outdoor pool and IFTTT controls for the pool pump and heating]
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Automating network tasks / Cron Jobs for beginners

If I want to automate the duplication of the contents of a folder on a Synology NAS to a folder on an old WD NAS once a day or week, what would be the best way to do this?

Would this be done via the Synology UI, within macOS, using the Automator.app, by running some "script" on a RPi, or perhaps even a Cron Job? I have read up a little bit about Cron Jobs, but am not clear just where I would put it ... :oops:

TIA