Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rf3flyer
PaulSS wrote:@rf3flyer I just assumed the the black bits were the top and bottom of the two photos, taken in portrait.

Ah, right, I didn't think of that.
By steviem
We have been using an AVMAP Ultra for about a year in our C42. It was simple to installImage
as replacement for a regular VSI, a little bit of a faff to calibrate but once calibrated it’s been flawless in operation. I bloomin love it. It’s got more capability than the garmin and it’s perfectly readable in bright sunlight. It’s just not quite as “pretty” as the G5 but unless that’s your priority or you’ve got other other Garmin boxes to connect to I can’t see a reason not to opt for it at the price point.

One feature that hasn’t been mentioned here is an emergency capability to navigate using a form of inertial nav ie without any form external reference including a GPS signal. You’re going to be having a bad day if you have to rely on that but it’s there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PaulSS, TheFarmer liked this
By PaulSS
That looks a neat unit. I don't know how the price tag of £1310 will affect decision making against, for instance, £745 of the AvMap kit.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I like that one @Cub , especially with the way it’s recessed nicely in the instrument hole.

I suppose I need to decide if I want to pay an additional £700 for the sleekness that it offers.

I’m still pretty much decided on the Avmap though from what I’ve read about it.

@steviem - when you say it was a faff to calibrate, what do you mean? Do you mean the visual airspeed range etc? Or the levels?
By User72
I've just installed a Garmin G5, removed the T&S and a few minutes later was done (already had a handy GPS antenna). Can't see any reason to use anything else.
By tnowak
Have a look at the Horis 80. They also do a smaller diameter (57mm) version.
Available via LXAvionics.
Tony
By TheFarmer
I was surprised it took someone that long to realise. :D
By pilotbarry
I had an Avmap Ultra in my Jodel 1051. Easy to install and use. Then I sold the aircraft and bought a Condor to keep Michael P happy and fitted a Kanardia Horis. Of the two I prefer the Horis but there was nothing wrong with the Ultra, I just thought the installation was better.
By TheFarmer
User72 wrote:
I would steer away from an internal magnetometer as they can be quite unreliable. With all the other devices in the panel, and near-by wires, it is difficult to make them work well. If you really want a stable magnetic heading a remote magnetometer is a must.

steviem wrote:..... a little bit of a faff to calibrate

Well, I need to listen to people like you two a lot more. :(

The Avmap was installed by a reputable avionics engineer who I’ve used before (I’d rather pay someone than try and do it myself l) and then it was powered up. We easily calibrated the pitch, and then it was time to calibrate the compass. The manufacturer’s guidance for this was well set out and easy to understand.

Well, after six attempts, we gave up for the night as the sun started to go down. No matter how much we made sure the airframe was level and how close we got the aircraft to face each compass point before we pressed ‘ENTER’, it simply wouldn’t work.

We tried again the following day with just as much disappointment. Eventually we had to give up.

Harry Mendelssohn understandably passed us on to Avmap, and Avmap preferred to deal via email.

We were firstly told that the software must be out of date, which it wasn’t. It was the latest version.

We were then told that we didn’t have GPS reception, which we did.

We were then told that the bubble compass was too close to the instrument which simply can’t be the case as I have spoken with at least five people now who all have the Avmap installed in the same location, and often even closer to the compass than I have.

We were asked if we had made sure the aircraft was level during the calibration process. Well, we had the tailwheel up on a stand and the longeron measured precisely level each time with a spirit level.

We were asked what kind of aircraft it was and if there was any inherent disturbance going on. Well, I’ve been in touch with several Jodel drivers who use one of these, and all of them haven’t had any issues calibrating theirs.

Basically, either the internal magnetometer is a poor design of this instrument, or mine is faulty.

Why do I need it when the horizon function is working ok? Well, one of the reasons I chose the Avmap is for the wind speed/direction function on the HSI screen which I really like. Sadly, if I keep it, I won’t have that function.

I was a little surprised that the box seal had been broken when I received it ten days ago. Perhaps it had been rejected by someone else for the same reason? Apparently not. Apparently the screens on these often crack in transit and they’d decided to check this before it was sent out to me.

So, all in all, I’m really not impressed at all, and wish I’d gone straight for the G5 now.

Anyway, I thought I’d give an update just to summarise that this didn’t all end nice and happily, and my personal recommendation is to steer well clear of the Avmap Ultra and go straight for the Garmin G5. It’ll cost a bit more to buy, but at least you won’t have a poorly designed instrument, with hit & miss a/c suitability, and that also has rather ‘wriggly’ back-up support.

So, @User72 you were absolutely right and I should have listened to you.

:(
By PaulSS
Magnetometers seem to be a complete pain in the bum. One of the deciding factors in me going for the Eurofox microlight, as opposed to the LAA version is that the LAA require a magnetic compass. I didn't want one of those things that either takes up panel space or gets in your eyeline, so I was going to install a magnetometer. I couldn't find anyone who had succeeded in successfully installing one in a Eurofox, so I went down the BMAA route. They only recommend a compass be installed but, with 5 independent souces of track I thought the recommendation unwarranted.

Three things I gleaned from my research: (1)Don't put your magnetometer anywhere near any steel, that includes your airframe (2)It is very likely that degaussing your airframe may help during the calibration (make sure you remove anything magnetic, like your compass, before doing so) (3)magnetometers don't like wires with high current running through them, so don't put them near your strobe cables nor any of your radio/transponder coax.

You can build a little box, using that anti-magnetic aluminium stuff, around the magnetometer/back of your Avmap and that may help the magnetometer (a bit like it helps some panel-mounted compasses). If you want to go down that route give me a shout. I've got some from Aircraft Spruce that I was going to use for a panel-mounted compass but never did. You can have it but don't blame me if it doesn't work :D

The only advantages I could see of having a magnetometer were (1)I could fly a magnetic heading if ATC told me to do so. I don't think this will ever happen so it's not a huge advantage. (2)I can get a wind vector on my EFIS because it now has all the info to resolve the vector triangle. So far I have not missed it at all. I use all the normal indicators that you've used until this point and, let's face it, you've only got to get the wind within 90 degrees to decide which end of the strip you're going to use. Don't you farmers always have a stinking tyre bonfire on the go :D
TheFarmer liked this