Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Gas Guzzler
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Following on from the Buying an"N" reg aircraft, does anyone know the situation with regard to Guernsey "2" registered aircraft and licensing/maintenance requirements? Same thought as the other thread really, can I fly here and abroad with CAA National and/or an EASA part FCL? Are there any restrictions?
Many thanks for your thoughts
By johnm
For 2 reg you have to have an address in the Bailiwick and then you can follow either FAA or EASA maintenance rules as you choose.
By Dominie
CloudHound wrote:And the Jersey register ZJ has just been relaunched too.

That's interesting - Jersey have had a rethink then. Originally (IIRC) in 2012/3 Guernsey were going to have 2G and Jersey 2J, but Jersey decided not to proceed so Guernsey had just "2". I guess now Jersey can't have 2J as there might be aircraft registered "2-J***".
By Gas Guzzler
johnm wrote:For 2 reg you have to have an address in the Bailiwick and then you can follow either FAA or EASA maintenance rules as you choose.

Does that have to be a physical address or a Trust address like the "N" reg system?
By johnm
Gas Guzzler wrote:
johnm wrote:For 2 reg you have to have an address in the Bailiwick and then you can follow either FAA or EASA maintenance rules as you choose.

Does that have to be a physical address or a Trust address like the "N" reg system?

Physical AIUI
By johnm
Gas Guzzler wrote:Ok, thanks John, looks like a no-go then

Worth double checking, but I last looked when UK maintenance for EASA aircraft was going pear shaped and as we have an address in Alderney it was a viable contingency plan to move to 2 reg.
By irishc180
The FAA system is so straightforward for private owners. I would like any aircraft I own to be as liquid as possible and having it on a boutique registry limits the the target market when you come to move it on. Your N-reg aircraft is worth money in Birmingham, Bangkok or Boston. It's a global asset and if it can't be ferried it can be crated up in a few days and sent to a new home.

There's also local politics to deal with in Guernsey, I know enough to know I'd rather not.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Cloudskimmer

Not True !

We have a 2- Reg aircraft and non of us owners live or ever resided in Guernsey.

We estimate we saved ourselves c£8000 by going the 2-Reg route. The aircraft we bought was on the N reg (FAA maintenance), to put in on G reg and follow EASA rules meant that the "on-condition" parts like the prop and governor were deemed ok under FAA but would were time expired under EASA. This and a few other things brought the bill to transfer to c £8000.
In addition to deciding which CofA rules you want to follow (FAA or EASA) you can also decide which licences you wish to fly on. A couple of our group are EASA IR licence holders and we couldnt fly IFR with N reg in UK airspace so we opted for FAA maintenance and EASA licence. You could fly under a FAA licence if you wish.
A few downsides, Guernsey have to survey the aircraft to see if its fit to be on their register, they have to approve the maintenance plan, and also validate your licence every 2 years.
You dont have to have it maintained in Guernsey, but any maintenance organisation that works on your aircraft has to be 2-Reg validated. This costs a couple of hundred quid and lasts 2 years and is largely a document/ qualification/competence paper exercise
Hope that clears things up
johnm, Gas Guzzler liked this
By johnm
Thanks @Cloudskimmer that’s better than I thought from when I looked at it. RGV at Gloucester seem to have some 2 reg amongst their customers
By User72
Maintenance organisations must be specifically approved by the 2-reg authorities (add a supplement to their EASA expositions and pay a fee, I believe around £200) before they can maintain a 2-reg aircraft.
By rdfb
Cloudskimmer wrote:A couple of our group are EASA IR licence holders and we couldnt fly IFR with N reg in UK airspace so we opted for FAA maintenance and EASA licence. You could fly under a FAA licence if you wish.

I'm not sure I follow. You can use an EASA IR on an N reg in UK airspace in any case, no? When you say you opted for FAA maintenance and EASA licence, isn't that exactly the situation that you say you couldn't fly IFR with N reg on? I don't understand what you changed about that situation that made it possible - wasn't it already possible?

As far as I understand FAA FAR §61.3 (a) (1) (vii) permits use of an EASA licence in the UK on an N-reg: "When operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used" and that keeps the US happy.

I'd like to make sure I follow because I fly an N reg! What am I missing?
By Cloudskimmer
rdfb wrote:
Cloudskimmer wrote:A couple of our group are EASA IR licence holders and we couldnt fly IFR with N reg in UK airspace so we opted for FAA maintenance and EASA licence. You could fly under a FAA licence if you wish.

I'm not sure I follow. You can use an EASA IR on an N reg in UK airspace in any case, no? When you say you opted for FAA maintenance and EASA licence, isn't that exactly the situation that you say you couldn't fly IFR with N reg on? I don't understand what you changed about that situation that made it possible - wasn't it already possible?

As far as I understand FAA FAR §61.3 (a) (1) (vii) permits use of an EASA licence in the UK on an N-reg: "When operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used" and that keeps the US happy.

I'd like to make sure I follow because I fly an N reg! What am I missing?

Hi @rdfb AFAIK, you can fly an N reg aircraft on an EASA licence under VFR rules only. If you want to fly N reg IFR in the UK you need an FAA IR. This is the main reason we opted for 2- Reg
In addition to earlier post RGV at Gloucester can also help with re-registering onto 2 Reg.