Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mpk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trying to work out what is going on this weekend re. closures etc. Southampton seems open at certain hours, Bournemouth closed. When looking at the airspace between both CTRs, which is CTA2 I think, SD says 'EGHI CTA active sea level to FL55'. Also 'CTA Class D 2000-FL55'. The latter is understandable, the former doesnt even appear marked on the map, and a CTA down to SL??

Also confused by two NOTAMs with differing hours of operation. Ultimately I want to know can a call to Solent that produces no reply mean one can transit? One part of the NOTAM says don't enter controlled airspace another make blind calls and 'try to call on landline if operating from a site inside the zone.. Where is the clear instruction as to what times are closed and whether it becomes class G with no ATC required?
By Skylaunch2
Fairly simple at weekends for Solent. They are open by tactical NOTAM activation only at weekends.
They have published hours for Monday-Friday but can be again extended by tactical NOTAM.
If no tactical NOTAM is raised at a weekend, the airspace never activates (though they normally open once a day). Today at 11:00 they raised a notam to activate their airspace from 12-13:30 I think. There has to be an hour notice and they do broadcast on frequency and will clear you to leave the zone if you're inside when activated, much like CAS (T).

Farnborough West or London Information are also able to assist, you can also make blind calls to ascertain activity.
Ignoring SD, If you use the AIP to look up EGHI and the Southampton zone diagram you will be able to identify which areas belong to Southampton, if Southampton is closed, any airspace belonging to them becomes Class G. Bournemouth Zones are labelled too as of course one could be active without the other!

Current NOTAMs show Southampton Active today until 20:00BST
Tomorrow it's active 08:45L to 16:30L (One of it's longest activations recently)
By JonathanB
mpk wrote:When looking at the airspace between both CTRs, which is CTA2 I think, SD says 'EGHI CTA active sea level to FL55'. Also 'CTA Class D 2000-FL55'. The latter is understandable, the former doesnt even appear marked on the map, and a CTA down to SL??

I don't have a current SD suscription, but looking at the AIS site, I suspect you're reading too much into the "Sphere of influence" (Q line) of the NOTAM.
idlelayabout liked this
By JonathanB
This definitely comes from the Q line:
Q) EGTT/QAECA/IV/NBO/AE/000/055/5050N00132W023
B) FROM: 20/05/24 07:45C) TO: 20/05/24 15:30

E) SOUTHAMPTON ATZ/CTR AND SOLENT CTA ACTIVE.

My bold - Sea Level (000) to FL55 (055), centred on the coords given to a radius of 23 nm (023).

(Edited to include the correct NOTAM).
idlelayabout liked this