Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shobdon can be equally as unnecessarily dictatorial about certain things too. It’s a shame, as it can ruin a day out.
By Rob P
TheFarmer wrote:It’s a sad (but true) fact that lots of airfields are overseen by some pretty aggressive and self-important chaps.

Don't I know it. I had to fill-in a sixteen screen online form for my one hour engine health flight which had already been delayed for two weeks, for reasons unexplained (though the CAA were mentioned several times), and declared "non-negotiable"

MattL wrote:Ps don’t forget to give weight and balance a good check if you’ve got unusual mixes like a parent and kid/seat in back but no one up front

AlanC wrote: But many bonus points if you still manage to a) get airborne b) land successfully like this.

PS see you on the CRI :wink:

@AlanC I shall PM you the address to which you can mail my new keyboard :lol:

Rob P
AlanC liked this
By defcribed
Paul_Sengupta wrote:You mention Shoreham. I believe a lot of people have been shouted at there for not wearing a high viz jacket, even when it's a clear sunny day.

So I hear.

Leaving the high viz debate aside for one moment, if the objective of the day is simply not to be shouted at so as not to leave a bad impression of GA with one's wife, then the Shoreham requirement for high viz is published and it's easy enough to comply.

Central to the art of low-level disobedience is understanding when it doesn't serve your interests. :P
By flyingearly
Thansk all; Shoreham is pretty much on my doorstep so would likely head further afield - but all this advice and recommendations has been really helpful. I was thinking of a flight up to Monewden to visit family, but for a relatively new pilot like me I'd like to try the route on my own first as it's relatively fiddly, navigating under the London TMA, around Southend and then Standsted.
By Rob P
Lee on Solent. Chilled folk and a beach on the doorstep, following the coastline is always relaxing. (It was mentioned earlier)

Rob P
By defcribed
flyingearly wrote:Thansk all; Shoreham is pretty much on my doorstep so would likely head further afield - but all this advice and recommendations has been really helpful. I was thinking of a flight up to Monewden to visit family, but for a relatively new pilot like me I'd like to try the route on my own first as it's relatively fiddly, navigating under the London TMA, around Southend and then Standsted.

If you're down south already then your best bet is to wait until the Channel Islands open up, or perhaps Le Touquet. All are a great day out (walks on the coast, restaurants, etc.) and all are are 'proper airports' so just join as ATC direct, wear your high viz on the apron and forget about it.

At these places you'll just be a valued customer like anyone else, plus you'll have a great day out that she really enjoys. No stress. No-one will mark you out as a newbie and no self-important CFI will put his hand on your shoulder to offer "a few words of advice, young man".

Of course, if you'd rather show her a £5 cooked breakfast in a little clubhouse full of sky gods on a field in the middle of nowhere, that's an option too. Bear in mind that the likelihood of being accosted in some manner by said sky gods is directly proportional to the attractiveness of your passenger.

The visiting family idea...... well.... depends massively on the people. Do you want to get there and have curious people asking "What's it like? Were you scared? Is he a good pilot?" etc. That kind of makes it all about the flying.
By Rob P
flyingearly wrote: I was thinking of a flight up to Monewden to visit family, but for a relatively new pilot like me I'd like to try the route on my own first as it's relatively fiddly, navigating under the London TMA, around Southend and then Standsted.

It's STANSTED GODDAMMIT :lol:

That route is Headcorn Direct Southend Direct Monewden. 2,000ft all the way, transit from Southend which they are invariably happy to grant. Doesn't involve Stansted at all, though you could use their FMC once Southend boot you off.

Rob P
kanga liked this
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
flyingearly wrote:Thansk all; Shoreham is pretty much on my doorstep so would likely head further afield - but all this advice and recommendations has been really helpful. I was thinking of a flight up to Monewden to visit family, but for a relatively new pilot like me I'd like to try the route on my own first as it's relatively fiddly, navigating under the London TMA, around Southend and then Standsted.

Beware of going too far on a first trip. Much better to do no more than 30 minutes.

At least Shoreham has a decent restaurant not full of middle aged men poring over charts :D

If you fancy a short walk there is plenty to do locally too.
By robert79
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
defcribed wrote:Which, unfortunately, says much about the general aviation environment in this country.

No argument from me there.

You mention Shoreham. I believe a lot of people have been shouted at there for not wearing a high viz jacket, even when it's a clear sunny day.

I got shouted at there for deigning to walk into the terminal building.
"WE'RE CLOSED. WE'RE CLOSED. WE'RE CLOSED" shouted the suited and booted lady behind the desk, flapping a hand at me in a "go away" motion. I was only looking for the bogs!
I couldn't quite work out how they were closed given I'd just landed there and the cafe was doing a roaring trade. I eventually guessed she probably worked for one of the flight schools or something. Why she felt the need to yell at me from the other end of the corridor I had no idea.
Made a point of walking past her desk as I feigned confusion over how to find my way out. She actually huffed at me :roll:
Rob P, skydriller liked this
By flyingearly
Thanks for your replies - I took my other kid up yesterday and had a much better experience flying down to Hastings, over to Rye and then back up to Headcorn. She loved it and wanted to go again.

Thanks to your advice I tried the booster seat but when I started up quickly realised I couldn't bring the throttle back to idle without significant force (the C42 throttle stick is between the legs) as the booster seat was impeding it, so I took it out and we made do without.
kanga liked this