For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Miscellaneous wrote:If I can offer a piece of advice, FD, don't cycle so far that you'll need a GPS. At your age your aris won't take it.

Don't worry, many centuries of Natural Selection means that in the Netherlands the people are quite robust in the nether regions.

Bill H

PS Because so much of that region is at / below sea level, they have evolved into quite a tall race.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill Haddow wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:If I can offer a piece of advice, FD, don't cycle so far that you'll need a GPS. At your age your aris won't take it.

Don't worry, many centuries of Natural Selection means that in the Netherlands the people are quite robust in the nether regions.

Bill H

PS Because so much of that region is at / below sea level, they have evolved into quite a tall race.

I could not disagree with these ascertions - OK, maybe I am not super tall.
By Rob P
Rather than mounting phone to bars I use a small bag mounted to the bars that has a clear, touchscreen capable window under which the phone is mounted. This provides protection from any unexpected rain (who actually goes cycling when rain is expected) and from events like my recent spectacular airborne adventure in Thetford Forest.

The little case itself provides useful storage for small items that I'm sure FD wouldn't wish to spoil the svelte silhouette of his lycra-encased, muscular torso. I sometimes keep a wallet in there, though I doubt it would be large enough for a medical practitioner's bulging item. It could also house a powerbank for longer rides.

Once I get myself motivated I'll post a picture.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Amateur! :)

We did 25 miles and can still walk!

I thoroughly enjoy cycling, it's the traffic you see, especially when most of them are tourists. :shock:

I did cycle more before moving here, often it would be along the Caledonian Canal.

Wherever one cycles in the Highlands a visible GPS for navigation is not really essential, there aren't so many roads to choose from. :D

For the first time I tried the Samsung App for curiosity and threw my phone in my rucksack. Blooming thing kept giving me updates of progress, not that I could hear properly what was being said.

It was a bit of fun though. :D

Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
Competitive in my youth 25-mile time trials.

Returned to cycling as the career started to add inches around the midriff. Far too many lavish lunches.

Three London-Brighton charity rides

One John o'Groats to Lands End

Now strictly a forest track cycler - why mix it with cars and idiots when I can virtually have Thetford Forest to myself?

Achieved my aerobatic (bike) qualification a couple of weeks ago, but I am healing slowly

ImageMinor damage by Rob, on Flickr

Rob P
By Rob P
Expensive Bell helmet, saved me a lot of pain.

Most of the bruising on my forehead is from the helmet liner. It was a spectacular aeros manoeuvre, a sort of two wheel lomcovak with far too little height to recover.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miscellaneous liked this