Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Smaragd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JodelDavo wrote:
foxmoth wrote:The bit that gets me is
subsequent use of the air above us..

Makes it very tempting to fly overhead just above the ATZ and see what happens!

Henstridge doesn't have an ATZ, which makes Geoff's statement even more baffling :roll:

I think you're misunderstanding this bit. Geoff hasn't mentioned or implied an ATZ, that was FoxMoth. Geoff is talking about if the neighbourhood has problems with what he is allowing on the ground - and if what he is allowing on the ground leads to a take-off, then there is inevitably subsequent use of the air above which might interest the neighbourhood, isn't there? I don't see anything that suggests Geoff thinks he controls the air above.
Miscellaneous liked this
By Miscellaneous
I agree @Smaragd, that and the offer for the kids to come play demonstrates a desire to help. However there is no justification for what he has on his website beyond him having the right to do so and frankly I'm baffled at those defending him. :?

Maybe with some encouragement from supporters he will see how inappropriate it is and he'll modify it? :D
By LowNSlow1
Managed to commit aviation yesterday after cleaning copious quantities of hanger bird debris of my previously shiny wings!

Lovely and sunny but pretty bumpy, never mind t'was great to be back in the air.
By Pete L
First flight since last July. Aircraft appeared reusable afterwards despite two landings. (The aircraft had moved more - co-owner's last flight was January). Blackbushe very pleasant, and even got a traffic service from Luton for the 100m or so we're inside their zone.

Only damage from the layoff is the mice seem to have eaten through my Pooley's drywash sprayer. As I found out when several brisk pumps covered me in white liquid.

Luckier than one of the stripmates with a flexwing - the mice nested in the detached and folded wing.
kanga liked this
By JAFO
malcolmfrost wrote:
JAFO wrote:Heard some light aircraft overhead this evening. It'll be a while before I get airborne again as the club I fly with has a 6 week recency rule and I'm way outside that now but it was great to hear them flying, such a lovely evening for it.

I would have a chat with them, if it’s a club rule they may well be amenable to relaxing it if it will get you renting again sooner!

I did, they were, they did and I did. Or, to put it another way, I did speak to them, they were assessing each person individually and they were happy for me to fly. So, I booked a slot for this afternoon. Many thanks to @malcolmfrost. They had really good procedures in place which meant I didn't have to meet anyone at all and didn't have to go inside the clubhouse though hand washing and gloves were available.

After more than eight weeks of staring wistfully out of the window at CAVOK conditions, it occurred to me this morning that there was a God, that He is vengeful and that I must have been really bad because the TAFs nearby read:

PROB30 TEMPO 2110/2113 29010KT 4000 +TSRA BKN045CB

PROB30 TEMPO 2109/2114 3000 +TSRAGS BKN045CB

PROB30 TEMPO 2109/2111 4000 +TSRAGS

PROB40 TEMPO 2110/2114 23015G30KT 3000 +TSGR BKN045CB

Still, not one to be daunted or deterred by the odd PROB30 or even PROB40, I went along to the airfield and it turned out that He is a kind and beneficent creator as the actual when I arrived was:

29005KT 9999 SCT035 SCT 060 23/15 Q1019 NOSIG=

It was great just to be airborne. It wasn't my prettiest or most accurate but it was safe and within 30 minutes I felt that I'd scraped off enough rust and was feeling fine. A bit high on approach but I stopped within the confines of the airfield and the aeroplane remained usable.

Not only was it my first post-lockdown flight, it also gave me enough hours to revalidate by experience this time round without any need for an extension.

I am chuffed to little mintballs :D
kanga, Crash one, Paul_Sengupta and 3 others liked this
By johnm
Gloucester opened today, but I have chosen to wait until next Tuesday when hopefully things will have settled down a bit.
By MattL
Flew DA42 today and Gloucester was working well today and moved fine between people operating on indemnity and ATC open ops. Some rusty looking landings and perhaps some tech faffs - one person seemed to lose all RT receive and a poor chap lost half his nosewheel spat on an LAA type
kanga, AlanC liked this
johnm wrote:Gloucester opened today, but I have chosen to wait until next Tuesday when hopefully things will have settled down a bit.

Did I not see your aeroplane out and about in the Southampton area yesterday, John?
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:
johnm wrote:Gloucester opened today, but I have chosen to wait until next Tuesday when hopefully things will have settled down a bit.

Did I not see your aeroplane out and about in the Southampton area yesterday, John?

You did with another group member at the helm.
Miscellaneous liked this
By johnda
Popped over to Calais today. Everything went very smoothly. Had a picnic and did our shopping at Carrefour Market. Lille Info only offered and alert service, but kindly activated our flight plan for the return to the UK. London Info provided their usual basic service to/from mid-Channel.
kanga liked this
By skydriller
johnda wrote:Popped over to Calais today. Everything went very smoothly.

Interested to learn if you filled in the french authorisation (downloadable from the gouv.fr website) for inter-europe travel and if anyone asked for it ... or even gave a hoot???

To any other brits, make the most of this week to visit the "green zone" before any "reciproccal quarantine rules"..

Regards, SD..
FCO website.....
Since 20 March 2020 entry to France has been limited to those transiting through France, returning French nationals and permanent residents, and a small number of essential travel categories. In order to enter France you will need to complete an international travel certificate, which certifies that your journey is essential and confirms that you have not been suffering from a set of listed symptoms associated with Covid-19.
PeteSpencer liked this