Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By LysanderV8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would be interested to know how groups are managing the use of the aircraft by different pilots with respect to Covid.

How can we ensure that the pilot does not somehow pass the virus on to the next flier?

We are considering imposing a 3 day gap between different pilots, but this will obviously be very restrictive.

Gloves and masks may protect the pilot - or not if they touch their face.

We are not convinced of the effectiveness of alcohol wipes, and we would be reliant on each pilot being extraordinarily efficient in their use before and after flying.

Thoughts?
By PeteSpencer
Our group is pondering this very situation

There is a link on disinfecting aeroplanes in the body of the Returning to Flying CAA document (CAP 1925)aimed primarily at flying schools and circulated by Sky wise today
By Trent772
I just so want to say something here, but I just feel that I can't.........

Please - someone help and maybe it could be like this....

Folks - Just Fly - enjoy and trust.

:thumleft:
By Rob P
My tuppence

Two person group

Other owner I know well enough to trust he has been taking sensible precautions for the last two months, as have I.

If he flies one day and I fly the next I may give a nod to wiping the controls with some suitable product and probably wear gloves as I usually do

Try and remember not to touch face during and after, at least until hands washed.

Danger of dying from Covid 19 infinitesimally small

Danger of dying from my own aviation inadequacies is infinitesimally small, but probably greater than above.

Increased risk = microscopic

Conclusion - Go flying.

Rob P
nallen, cirrostratus, rusty eagle and 10 others liked this
By Trent772
The most excellent Sherlock Holmes movie was on this week.

Most of the decision/fight scenes were just as you described......

Are you Guy Richie ?

Gosh..... :thumleft:
By PeteSpencer
The difficult thing about disinfecting the a/c following CAA's guidelines (below)

(I give up trying to attach it: its in CAA document -CAP1925) linked in my previous post above :twisted: )

is trying to remember what solvent eats what material and rots other materials....
And eats rivets and dulls perspex and cracks rubber/leather- I could go on.....

Peter :roll:
By kanga
PeteSpencer wrote:..

There is a link on disinfecting aeroplanes in the body of the Returning to Flying CAA document (CAP 1925)aimed primarily at flying schools and circulated by Sky wise today

CAP1925: COVID 19 – Preparing to Return to Normal Flying Operations for General Aviation Private Pilots

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1925%20COVID%2019%20Preparing%20to%20return%20to%20flying%20for%20GA%20pilots.pdf
By chrisbl
Flew Tuesday, wiped the controls and all the surfaces that get touched (like belt buckles) before I got in then did the same again after I flew and as i exited the aircraft.

Basically left the aircraft as I would like to find it.

its all very well avoiding touching the face but how many times during a flight do you touch the mike boom?
By PeteSpencer
kanga wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:..

CAP1925: COVID 19 – Preparing to Return to Normal Flying Operations for General Aviation Private Pilots

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CA ... pilots.pdf

File not found:

But thanks anyway Kanga I've already linked that whole document above :

It's the two page pdf within that document (on disinfecting aircraft) that I was trying to link/post..

But I've given up and had to move on:

Granddaughter's 'school ' morning via Facebook now. :roll:

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu May 21, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanga liked this
By Dave W
This is the linked document, from EASA: Coronavirus Guide for Disinfection of General Aviation Aircraft.

That link now included in the COVID-19 Sticky which acts as a single repository for useful info.
PeteSpencer, kanga liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:@Trent772

Nah you so should have said it yourself rather than leaving it to a pompous patronising git

Peter :roll:

Oh Alan Watts definitely wasn't a pompous patronising git. The video does him a dis-service; it's an audio recording of a lecture (hence the pace of delivery) he gave (probably in the 60s - hence the accent), put on top of silly music and visuals.