Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flyingearly
Hi All,

I've just got back after a fantastic flight - my first ever flight with one of my kids following getting my licence. I'm not 100% sure if he enjoyed it but he made all the right noises, didn't touch anything "accidentally" and the cabin wasn't coated in vomit at the end. So, all in all, a success.

That said, being a wee man of 6, he couldn't see over the panel and spent much of the flight looking out the side window.

I'm sure this has been done to death, but am I allowed to put a booster seat in for him? I've heard others say it counts as a mod and isn't legal, but not being that tuned in to what is and isn't allowed in that sense (I just rent from the flying club) I'd be grateful for any guidance from others who have been in this position.

Many thanks.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I asked this question many years ago when I wanted to take my 7 year old grandson for his first flight.

So I was advised: just shove his car seat in:

Which I did: worked a treat.

It wasn't a mod because its held in place by the seat belt just as it is in the car.

He's 18 now........

Good luck

Peter :wink:
kanga, A le Ron liked this
By skydriller
Wot Pete says^^^.

Ive flown my kids with car seats and the little booster seat things in aeroclub aeroplanes depending upon age. Nothing permanently attached = no problems.

Regards, SD..
By riverrock
So long as it can't impinge on the flight controls (some sticks eat into the seat when pulled fully back so you need to make sure that a stick wont reach it, and need to make sure there is no risk it can slide forward towards pedals ) then go for it.
By Crash one
Why would it be considered illegal to strap a cushion under a child when it not considered illegal or dangerous to throw a flight bag the size of a portacabin loosely in the back ?
I remember a small female sitting on a cushion of lead shot in a glider to improve the weight and balance, these were available from the clubhouse in various weights.
By MattL
You are not altering the aircraft structure or equipment or permanently attaching items so no mod required. Sounds like you are taking a sensible approach - all the best for many fun trips!
By Jim Jones
On a seat he may be able to reach things he couldn’t before. And dependent on aircraft, check how exiting quickly may need a different approach.

Can’t think how else it may be a problem.

I was never allowed to take my grandchildren, then again my grown up children had been passengers....
By PeteSpencer
I'm sure I read somewhere that simple boosters (in cars) were either not recommended any more or were even illegal because they don't afford any head /neck protection from side forces.

Or is that only up to a certain age? Because they still seem to be marketing them.....

Peter
By MattL
The law changed a few years ago but there is now a height / weight band where kids are too big/heavy for car seats but not tall enough (135cm) to go without anything so booster seats are the answer - its to get belt and headrest in right position I think.

Ps don’t forget to give weight and balance a good check if you’ve got unusual mixes like a parent and kid/seat in back but no one up front
By flyingearly
PeteSpencer wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that simple boosters (in cars) were either not recommended any more or were even illegal because they don't afford any head /neck protection from side forces.

Or is that only up to a certain age? Because they still seem to be marketing them.....

Peter

Sorry, I should have been clearer and not confusing - most kids car seats come in two parts, with the bottom bit acting as a booster if you take it off. That's what I was planning on using (I think you're right, using the bottom bit alone in a car is possibly illegal these days).