Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By DavidC
Now that we are allowed to go flying again, it would be nice to visit other airfields even if the cafes aren't open.

Many airfields require you to visit the tower or cafe to pay your landing fee, which would conflict with social distancing and in many cases may not even be manned.

A couple of times in the past, I've settled up subsequently by bank transfer or Paypal, with the details confirmed by email which is a bit of hassle/admin for both sides with plenty of room for error. I wondered if this AeroPS App I came across last year in Germany might be of use (I have not used it myself and don't have any connection with the developers).

I recall it being available at least for one German airport we visited. The AFIS at the desk thought it a bit extra hassle to have to check another account (rather than just the bank), but it would have saved us some time. For larger airports I could see this being even more beneficial, especially where you need to go landside to pay the fees.

I know they were keen to expand into other countries and seem to have a few airports signed up in the UK.

Any interest/thoughts?
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've seen some places with contactless readers where they are setup to take a set amount when a card is tap (e.g. "Tap here to donate £5"). For smaller places this could be an option? Difficult to join up payments with movements though, but could be useful to replace a cash honesty box at least.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
This App was discussed (and dismissed) here last year, but times have changed.
https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113818

Contactless payments are already so widespread outside of Germany that the functionality is somewhat limited. Even Sandown (which until recently was cash only) now has a facility to pay in advance for landing and a bacon sandwich to avoid human contact.

The limit for contactless terminals is still too low to cope with any significant fuel purchase though.
By rikur_
It is very simple to set-up to take online payments via Stripe.
Easiest option for most is probably their 'billing' product - all the airfield needs is to get the payers email address (alongside PPR?) and then it emails the invoice which can be paid in app/online by card. Simples.
By TheFarmer
I’ve just been to get fuel at a well known Hampshire airfield and suggested over the radio that I put my tenner landing fee in the metal box by the pumps. I assumed this would be safer than going into the clubhouse and they could get the money after a day or two.

Instead, I was asked to go into the clubhouse and pay by card. It’s interesting how some people interpret the safety options for Covid.
Flyin'Dutch', AndyR liked this
EGHN Sandown, aka "Dandown" is leading by example in this regard.

He had many visiting aircraft all weekend, and he had already implemented a contactless system for landing fees, booking in, and most importantly food ordering.

It worked flawlessly.

Go onto his website for some tips.
kanga, PaulSS liked this
By riverrock
Standard card readers have a "card not present" option, where the operator types in the card number and the check code from the back of the card into the reader. So sit in your aircraft and pay by phone. No apps, no extra equipment, minimal additional hassle. You'll likely still have their phone number as last dialled in your mobile from when you PPRed anyway. If you need a receipt, ask them to email it to you.
By zhastaph
I'm really sorry for the blatant advert that follows, this isn't something that I would normally do!

The system that Sandown uses was supplied by my company, ICRTouch, we're based at Sandown Airport and so have a very close relationship with Dan.

He's had the till for a number of years, recently we've bolted on our 'TouchTakeaway' solution which is basically a webshop that's attached to his till.

https://islandairportsandown.touchtakeaway.net/

You can place orders and pay for food, drinks & landing fees through it. The food orders all print out from the printer in the kitchen printer, the landing fees all print out from the printer in the tower. I believe you can also go to the counter and pay contactlessly through the plexi glass.

We do not charge commission on sales!

Pretty much every EPOS Reseller in the country supplies ICRTouch software, many airfield based cafés and bars will already have our equipment, and those that don't will almost certainly have a relationship with a company that supplies it, though may have purchased a simpler till.

https://www.icrtouch.com/

I apologise if this post breaks terms and conditions, or offends anyone. Despite the fact that 90% of our customers are pubs & restaurants {all of which are closed} I'm not trying to drum up business, we have no need to; there are over 100,000 of our tills in use throughout the UK and various parts of the world. Our company feels that it has a responsibility to help this country and our customers get through this, whether this be through common sense business advice or through the technology that we create.

The measures that Dan has put in place at Sandown are a shining example as to how we can start to get back on our feet and rebuild, in a way that is safe and responsible.

Colin Ringer
wigglyamp, PaulSS, flyingeeza and 6 others liked this
TheFarmer wrote:I’ve just been to get fuel at a well known Hampshire airfield and suggested over the radio that I put my tenner landing fee in the metal box by the pumps. I assumed this would be safer than going into the clubhouse and they could get the money after a day or two.

Instead, I was asked to go into the clubhouse and pay by card. It’s interesting how some people interpret the safety options for Covid.

I tried this at my local petrol station and they were equally unimpressed with my tenner in the honesty box..... :wink:
By townleyc
neilmurg wrote:
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:The limit for contactless terminals is still too low to cope with any significant fuel purchase though.
Not if it's Google Pay or Apple Pay (via phone app)

Not always, many financial institutions and/or resellers limit both to the standard limit

KE