Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Danny
Thanks for all the replies and interesting discussion. Edward Bellamy, I hadn't really thought of that to be honest. No suppose it's because I'm undecided what route to take one the ATPLs are done and the CPL would allow me to do an instructors rating of I decided to go down that route. I'm aware I could do that on a PPL though but still thinks the BIFM may be needed for that (not sure though).
Thanks to the discussions raised I am certainly going to reassess my route. Far more options than I thought!
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Oddly enough one of the first bits of good news following the lockdown is that we for the approvals to do the IR, CBIR and MEP ratings.
We have come up with a module based course in three parts.
We have also been busy having a new website built by our very own George of this parish! Fill deeds of the course will be on there.
For those of you who have visited my club we are further polishing the turd by redecorating too!
Danny liked this
By neilmurg
@Sir Morley Steven'We have also been busy having a new website built by our very own George of this parish! Fill deeds of the course will be on there.'
Great! Good..
'For those of you who have visited my club we are further polishing the turd by redecorating too!'
Jeez, it's a great club Steve, but 'Polishing the turd' is not a great image, listen to your PR guy/gals, and Ali.
I hope to see you soon! (booked in Tue)
By Capt Edmund
All, slight follow on question to the above which is more relevant for me now with recent cancellations. There is a suggestion that the BIFM can be completed ahead of theory passes. Is that the case?
Last edited by Capt Edmund on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MichaelP
Compared to Three Counties Aero Club Steve’s premisses are quite Posh.

Not sure if this is relevant but the route I have used to the Transport Canada CPL is, PPL (includes minimum five hours instrument training), hour building, night rating with a further five hours instrument training (total 10 required) , Multi Engine and Instrument rating training, usually 20 sim, and 20 aeroplane, (you also need a total fifty hours cross country in aeroplanes), and this worked superbly with a Diamond Sim DA42 FTD, followed by seamless flying in the DA42.
Brush up the instrument training for the CPL flight test (unusual attitudes and limited/partial panel).
Last summer I recommended a student for his CPL flight test, but he has not done his ME/IR as yet.
In Canada there are three fixed wing Instrument Ratings ME and everything else, Centreline Thrust (336/337) and single engine aeroplanes, and Single Engine only. Most people do the ME IR flight test if they want a job!

I think Instrument proficiency is important for those who venture on long cross country flights. See page 3 of the latest Chirp :)
kanga liked this
By Capt Edmund
Well, digging around the Appendix to FCL it says that the procedural bit (PIFM)of the IR needs to be done within the theory validity so, by exception, BIFM presumably doesn’t. Not sure if I’ll find anyone willing to do a standalone BIFM but if it means I can get some progress in before exam centres open up again or night flying becomes available then maybe there’s some hope.