Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dominie wrote: I notice that the circuit diagram doesn't show the circuit extending to the Tacolneston Mast, as I recall people doing in 2003!

Its an entry point for straight-in from the east if I recall. However, my embarrasing memory of visiting is that I saw OB from absolutely miles away on approach from the south, dutifully searched for and found the mast (eventually), then promptly lost the runway... :oops: If it wasnt for SD, Id probably still be aimlessly flying around Norfolk... :lol: :lol:

Regards, SD..
By Highland Park
Neither Snetterton race circuit nor Tacolneston Mast are part of the circuit. In both cases however, if there’s no reported conflicting traffic, we will offer a “straight in” from the relevant one if asked and it’s up to the aircraft captain to decide whether they want to take it or not.

Ian
@Highland Park it appears you work at OB, can you shed any light on the decision to opt for a circuit with leaves and re-enters the ATZ twice over other options? Is the official view that it is the best option available?
Highland Park wrote:.......if there’s no reported conflicting traffic, we will offer a “straight in” from the relevant one if asked and it’s up to the aircraft captain to decide whether they want to take it or not.

Ian

Asking for a friend, but can an AGCS operator say that? Surely the pilot decides which way he want to join at an A/G establishment? :thumleft:
AlanC liked this
By Highland Park
Miscellaneous wrote:@Highland Park it appears you work at OB, can you shed any light on the decision to opt for a circuit with leaves and re-enters the ATZ twice over other options? Is the official view that it is the best option available?

I can’t comment to be honest as I have no idea. I’ve been flying there since 2006 and it’s never changed, so how long it was like that beforehand I don’t know. Whether it’s to do with planning permission, I’ve equally no idea but I believe that’s why microlights and helicopters aren’t allowed (the latter only for maintenance).

Ian
Thanks @Highland Park for the reply, interesting. I wonder if things have changed sufficiently over the years to justify changing it, but no one has looked at it?

I guess I'll just continue to believe it exists for the sole purpose of cheesing off @Rob P, much to my amusement. :wink:
Highland Park liked this
By Highland Park
JodelDavo wrote:
Highland Park wrote:.......if there’s no reported conflicting traffic, we will offer a “straight in” from the relevant one if asked and it’s up to the aircraft captain to decide whether they want to take it or not.

Ian

Asking for a friend, but can an AGCS operator say that? Surely the pilot decides which way he want to join at an A/G establishment? :thumleft:

I said IF ASKED by the aircraft captain. Ordinarily I would assume they would follow published circuit procedures, but if they ask for a straight in at either point, I suggest they let me know when they arrive at either Snetterton or Tacolneston so that I can let them know whether there’s any reported traffic in the circuit. It’s up to them to decide whether to continue with a straight in based on the information I supply or to follow the published circuit. I certainly don’t give permission.

Ian
Rob P liked this
By flybymike
townleyc wrote:I enjoyed the protection of an AT=Z training at Bourn in 2007/8, which was licensed then.

Mind that didn't stop a C130 from flying right though the zone at 800 ft - 200 ft below circuit height. When I asked the instructor why they didn't maker a complaint (presumably an MOR) I was told that nothing would be done, so it was not worth it. He was ex-CAA.

But at least there was some protection for us stdents!

KE

An ATZ at an uncontrolled airfield doesn’t provide any more “protection” than simply indicating the presence of the airfield Itself on the chart.
I don’t need an ATZ to indicate to me the possibility of traffic being present in the vicinity of an airfield regardless of the presence or absence of a larger circle on the chart.
They manage just fine without ‘em in France, and many fewer elsewhere.
David Wood liked this
By Rob P
skydriller wrote: If it wasnt for SD, Id probably still be aimlessly flying around Norfolk... :lol: :lol:

There are worse things in life :D

JodelDavo wrote:
Asking for a friend, but can an AGCS operator say that? Surely the pilot decides which way he want to join at an A/G establishment?

The A/G are tasked with giving circuit details and pressure readings. That a straight-in is an option is, to my mind, a circuit detail. It has the added benefit of reducing the noise aggravation for the locals. No complaints here, it works well, certainly preferable to the vast circuit.

Rob P
skydriller liked this
By PeteSpencer
Miscellaneous wrote:Thanks @Highland Park for the reply, interesting. I wonder if things have changed sufficiently over the years to justify changing it, but no one has looked at it?

I guess I'll just continue to believe it exists for the sole purpose of cheesing off @Rob P, much to my amusement. :wink:

AG can implement local rules on behalf of airfield management just as they like:
For example when the meatbombers flew (?) from Old Buck there was a local rule that while canopies were/imminent/ in the air/ engine start up was not allowed/had to be requested over the radio.

Peter
Rob P wrote:
skydriller wrote: If it wasnt for SD, Id probably still be aimlessly flying around Norfolk... :lol: :lol:

There are worse things in life :D

Pray tell more. On reading @skydriller's comments my initial (honest) thought was well, yes, what other sort of flying is there in EA?

It reminded me of a sailing trip from the Clyde up the west coast via the Crinan Canal, a diversion through the Sound of Mull to Tobermory on through the Caledonian Canal to the North Sea with the final objective being Scarborough. Having thoroughly enjoyed the west coast I found the featureless east coast a drag and was quite happy to abandoned the yacht at Hartlepool and head home. In fact we met one serious sailor, who on being told we were moving the boat to be based at Scarborough, exclaimed if the only sailing available was the east coast kind he wouldn't sail. I consider the landscapes similarly and have seriously thought that about flying.

No offence to those lucky enough to enjoy their flying in EA. :thumright:
By Rob P
If you have an interest in old airfields ans WW2 aviation the landscape has plenty to offer.

But to my mind the best thing is that Calais can be flown in a straight line without any airspace interfering in just 35-40 minutes. But then I suppose that isn't aimless bimbling. :D

Rob P
Rob P wrote:But to my mind the best thing is that Calais can be flown in a straight line without any airspace interfering in just 35-40 minutes. But then I suppose that isn't aimless bimbling. :D

Ah, so you're suggesting the only flying in Norfolk which is not aimless is when the aim is to get out of there? :wink:

So you agree with me. :D
Charles Hunt, Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
Indeed: E A's proximity to Yurp is its main advantage:

Straight across the North Sea at FL 100 to COSTA and you can be in Germany in 2 hours munching Frankfurters and Sauerkraut, a particular fave of mine.....

Peter :roll:
By PeteSpencer
Miscellaneous wrote:Thanks @Highland Park for the reply, interesting. I wonder if things have changed sufficiently over the years to justify changing it, but no one has looked at it?

:

I've been flying in and out of Old Buck for the last 25 years as it's our nearest 'gas station'.

As for circuits, 'twas ever thus, with long downwind detour above Attleborough and the 20 degree crank departing 25 to miss a particular habitation.

There's a similar crank in the cross/grass runway departure but as I don't use it I don't know the details, nor can I remember when it was brought back into service.

I do believe that immediately after the meatbombers departed, overhead joins were allowed for a short while but that brought arriving traffic in over Old Buckenham village, an unpopular development , so OHJs were stopped again.

Peter :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun May 17, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.