Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kanga
G-BLEW wrote:..has to deal with a very noise sensitive local population. ..

I'm inclined to suspect that may be a driver here .. trying both to persuade the locals that he is limiting activity while reopening, and offering them an incitement to visit, especially ones with families who actually like watching and hearing light aircraft. It may seem a pity and even discourteous to nonbased pilots, but may be prudent for the long-term survival of the operation.
Iceman liked this
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
foxmoth wrote:The bit that gets me is
subsequent use of the air above us..

Makes it very tempting to fly overhead just above the ATZ and see what happens!

No ATZ at Henstridge. You can’t even infringe.
By skydriller
foxmoth wrote:The bit that gets me is
subsequent use of the air above us..

Makes it very tempting to fly overhead just above the ATZ and see what happens!

There is no ATZ... :whistle:
By flybymike
stevelup wrote:Well, sadly, there's somewhere added to my 'never fly there' list.

I cannot for the life of me understand the mindset of a business speaking to it's customers like that. It is just plain bizarre. What is it about aviation that seems to foster folks with such innovative ways of communicating?

We’ve mentioned it before :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115267&p=1762869&hilit#p1762869
Last edited by flybymike on Sat May 16, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Gentoo
With more people working from home, and those that are not having to entertain themselves from home then I imagine any airfield near noise sensitive areas will have to be aware of the need to keep as low a profile as possible for a while.

I can imagine that it won't look great if some journalist did a 'private pilots disrupting people isolating' type story. Especially when some people still can't do their hobbies.
kanga liked this
By Red
skydriller wrote:
Red wrote:Strange how we see things so differently.
It'll be one of the first places I visit when I can (Wales Based).
Always was a favourite, and that no nonsense statement from the owner makes me even more pro-Henstridge.

You'll love this place then:

https://www.ashcroftair.co.uk/

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And you know what? Probably both places are great to visit, but the websites do amuse me.

Got the Tee Shirt.
Guess what? the Owner is very helpful and friendly :D
kanga, skydriller, flyingboy liked this
By skydriller
Like I said earlier....

skydriller wrote:And you know what? Probably both places are great to visit, but the websites do amuse me.
By reubeno
I flew into Sandown today, kudos to the team for all the preparation that went into reopening. :D With excellent up to date information on the website (https://www.eghn.org.uk), the ability to pay the landing fee online, very sensible social distancing measures in place and able to serve take away food and drink. Brilliant. Quite a few visitors today, so hopefully we will see activity overall pick up in the next couple of weeks.

And thanks also to the controller at Gatwick, with only a listening squawk, called me to warn me of traffic at a similar level on a converging path.
seanxair, kanga, skydriller and 3 others liked this
G-BLEW wrote:...so don't know if there are any other factors, but let's cut him a little slack in these strange and tough times.

It's a fact, often evident on the forum, that for some reason we want to cut people we know some slack where we wouldn't if we didn't know them.

I'm sure he is a decent fella and I have no skin in this game, however we are all sharing these strange and tough times. IMO they are not acceptable excuses for addressing people in the way he has. There's not a lot of evidence of him cutting pilots much slack.
johnda liked this
I'm afraid Geoff may have just had his Gerald Ratner moment.

Been there once, on a quiet day. Not sure if the bloke there was Geoff or not, but friendly he was not. No plans to return and definitely not after seeing that.
Nick liked this
By Nick
When the families stop going to the cafe because there are very few aeroplanes to watch. I wonder if he will change his attitude and welcome back all the flying community.
And if so will the flying community support him again, or go elswhere? I think he way have just shot himself in the foot.

Nick
Miscellaneous liked this
By James Chan
No-one will land away,it is simply too early for that…I am at liberty to allow or not allow ... and if the governments advice isn’t clear, you can rest assured mine will be.

Clearly someone thinks they are the law. Was that written by Judge Dredd? I'd dredd what the air ambulance and many others would think of this...... :?

Could it be the writings of a person who witnessed someone close who died - and having to battle the aerodrome rapidly approaching its planning restrictions on movements (p17-20) at the same time.... or not?
By proteus
I certainly will pick and choose which airfields I choose to visit. And if given the choice will always avoid unfriendly fields. I'd rather pay a little more to go to somewhere better.

I don't know if he just wrote this note quickly whilst furious but it just reads terribly and has certainly put me off from ever dropping in. It's his choice to turn business away but it's also my choice not to go. His comments about controling the air above it seem a bit ridiculous.

I guess I'm fortunate in not really needing an airfield. A good amount of my recent landings are not at airfields and I guess this percentage will probably increase.
JodelDavo liked this