Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Miscellaneous, it came back just before lockdown from the 5.5 month respray. I managed one day of 3 hours’ flying before the aircraft was put to bed in the hangar again with ground risks insurance :roll: . Hopefully, this week coming, Blackbushe will lift restrictions and we can commit aviation, although it sounds like we won’t be able to stray into Scottish ‘bandit’ country for a while longer :D.

Iceman 8)
skydriller liked this
By Miscellaneous
@Iceman I don't think it will be too much longer until the Celts relax the lockdown. The worry for me is that Brendan & Alison will have had enough and decide there's more to life than knocking your pan in working, especially when it's to recover from this sort of kicking.

Have you spoken to him recently, can you shed any light?
By Iceman
@Miscellaneous, I spoke to Brendan (Facebook) on the 1st April I seem to recall, the day that they were supposed to open. He joked that they couldn’t possibly open with myself and WideBody not being there so they’d remain closed until restrictions allowed. I’ve seen him on the webcam, mowing the runway, but alas, no sign of opening yet. Their main regular staff are Bulgarian so it remains to be seen how and when they start up again. I’ll be straight up as soon as they do, but I would imagine that hotels and restaurants will be some of the last to have restrictions lifted.

Iceman 8)
By malcolmfrost
flybymike wrote:I’ve never seen an insurance policy which stipulated ongoing currency rules which are at variance with the legislative rules.
It’s not up to insurance companies to effectively impose legislation which does not exist in the real world.
It’s bad enough when they refuse to provide insurance to pilots above a certain age.
Straightforward age discrimination and wide open to legal challenge.

I've just looked into this a bit for my group and the Insurance states that currency should be as per the group rules :D
By Miscellaneous
Iceman wrote:I’ll be straight up as soon as they do, but I would imagine that hotels and restaurants will be some of the last to have restrictions lifted.

As long as his desire is there and he can weather the financial storm.

Hotels will be at the back end of the relaxation of restrictions. There are already some falling by the wayside with worrying signs for many more.

Tour company David Urqhuart has gone and have put 3 hotels on the market. Black Sheep hotels has gone, that's another 3 hotels. :pale:
By foxmoth
will the CAA allow AFIS airfields to "downgrade" to A/G,

I don't believe it needs CAA clearance, just permission from the airfield operator/owner.
By Iceman
Indeed, a downgrade in service quite often happens as a consequence of qualified staff shortages. Blackbushe Information sometimes becomes Blackbushe Radio, Redhill Tower has become Redhill Information on occasions in the past. This is a local aerodrome arrangement.

@Miscellaneous, yes, not good news that the catering and tourism infrastructure has taken a real bashing during this event, and we certainly haven’t seen the last of the closures :(.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Sat May 16, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
foxmoth wrote:
will the CAA allow AFIS airfields to "downgrade" to A/G,

I don't believe it needs CAA clearance, just permission from the airfield operator/owner.

How does it square with the, "The CAA have mandated AFIS here" line? e.g. Wycombe?
By Paul_Sengupta
Ah, right, one step up. Same applies though! Just wondering what the CAA would think of all aerodromes re-opening but with no one on the radio. That way they don't need to un-furlough staff, just make a statement, "The gates are open, the rest is up to you."
SteveX liked this
By Iceman
I don’t see a problem with that in most cases. We operate perfectly well at Blackbushe out-of-hours with ‘Blackbushe Traffic’ self-announce, but a drop of fuel once in a while would be useful (no self-service at most airports).

Iceman 8)
By Jim Jones
johwwwnm wrote:
stevelup wrote:I think it's quite clear from the past few days that the latter attitude is by far the more prevalent one...

and it started in the 1970s when political correctness came along and people were encouraged to focus on their rights and forget their responsibilities :twisted:

Establishing equal rights, preventing stigma of minority groups, establishing fair laws and access to justice, preventing exploitation..

A lot of that happened in the 60 and 70s. Is that the political correctness you mean?
nallen, kanga liked this
By skydriller
Interesting management style and posting on the website for Henstridge "...A friendly general aviation airfield near Wincanton, Somerset." :

Coronavirus Update:
The Department of Transport has just published what can only be described as a “Release to GA flying”..
Frankly I think it is as sudden and foolish as Johnson’s release of the Nation on Sunday….It seems to promote an instant almost go do what you want…THIS ISN’T GOING TO BE THE CASE AT HENSTRIDGE.
There are still many, many people observing the earlier best advice..STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES..
Locally I think the general respect of this has done us good service, and remains itself, to be respected…
Any return to flying will be respectful to all.
Henstridge,WILL remain closed to visiting Aircraft, except with my express permission for maintenance purposes.
Based pilots will be allowed to fly, one aircraft in any one hour, 9am till 12 noon and again 2pm till 5pm..Flights will be on the hour.
These slots will be agreed with me…The flight patterns will be agreed with me..They will follow guidance as to altitude so as to minimise disturbance on the ground, and distance so as to facilitate return in emergency.
{9am -10am Saturday is Kevin with a Tiger moth…}
Please book by phone 07813 901643…
NO-ONE will fly without my express permission..there will be NO presumption of right…
No-one will land away,it is simply too early for that…
On the ground all social distancing guidance and hygiene advice will be followed to the letter, and if the governments advice isn’t clear, you can rest assured mine will be. My staff will be briefed that anyone on my land will do as they ask as much as if I asked myself.
To the neighbourhood…If anyone has a problem with the ground use I am at liberty to allow or not allow and the subsequent use of the air above us..Please ring me..If the phone is engaged or I can’t answer text on the number above..I will get back to you..
The Café will be open for take away food Saturday and Sunday..11 – 2pm..
To local families,with kids needing to let of steam..to my mind in compliance with guidance..we have space…If anyone wants to exercise, picnic or sunbathe..
If the kids need some space to run around…Email on contact@henstridgeairfield.com before 6am Saturday or ring afterwards on 07813 901643…
And book…we will be allocating 1000m2 areas per family..First come first served..
Dogs welcome, if under control…Take your rubbish home…
Geoff.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Soooo....We should ALL stay home...but our cafe is open this weekend...but only if you drive... :roll:

I particularly like this bit: "If anyone has a problem with the ground use I am at liberty to allow or not allow and the subsequent use of the air above us.." :lol:
Interestingly there is no ATZ, so if feeling mischievous there could be fun to be had... :wink:

Regards, SD .. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Iceman, Human Factor, Nick liked this