For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
Brrr...sun is shining, but it’s 3oC :shock:

Went from being too hot with winter duvet on the bed a few days back, to being quite glad I hadn’t gotten round to swapping it out!
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
From seeing the irises bloom two weeks early we're now seeing them damaged by frost :( The spuds also got frost damage and will now be late harvesting...
By Bill McCarthy
There is a saying here - plant early potatoes late, plant late potatoes early. As for swedes - not before Term Day.
johnm liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
There's a local gardening facebook group, and everyone was warned of the coming frost - many have wrapped up, covered or otherwise protected their plants. Lots of pictures of plants with some sort of plastic over them!
By Bill McCarthy
When in the north island wine region in NZ I enquired what all the wind turbines were in among the vines. Turned out they were huge “fans” to stir up the air during a frost to protect the vines. If a deeper than normal frost is forecast they send up a helicopter to fly over them.
By Jim Jones
Watching fledgling greenfinches and sparrows in the garden. They’ve not quite mastered this flying thing. A few go arounds trying to land on the feeders.
Reminiscent of my circuits in training.
By OCB
Bill McCarthy wrote: If a deeper than normal frost is forecast they send up a helicopter to fly over them.

Calling in Air Support against Jack Frost ...lol!

When living in Vaud, used to hear the farmers launching cloud busting rockets when hail was threatening. Scared the hell out me the first time it happened!
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Bill McCarthy wrote:When in the north island wine region in NZ ............,,,,,,,,.........If a deeper than normal frost is forecast they send up a helicopter to fly over them.

That’s ‘hour building’ with a difference

Peter
By skydriller
OCB wrote:When living in Vaud, used to hear the farmers launching cloud busting rockets when hail was threatening. Scared the hell out me the first time it happened!

There are two Chateaux near us that have anti- hail rockets.
They have been really active this last month as the flowers were out on the vines and we have had alot of frontal thunderstorms.

And it really does work BTW...

Regards, SD..
By Trent772
In California, the vineyards have towers with propellers on.

I asked.....

When frost is forecast, they start the props and it creates enough breeze to stop the frost damaging the grapes !
By Charliesixtysix
I was lucky enough to enjoy three weeks on NZ South Island last November and visited a few vineyards.... hic..... All of which had frost fans, with c.20ft two blade props driven by Iveco 100hp diesel units. Each unit was fully automatic with thermostatic auto start control box and sited at at about 1 frost fan per Five acres.

The winery owners were quite impressed with efficacy compared to helicopter frost dispersal.

Trent772 liked this
By OCB
Miscellaneous wrote:Spring is most defiantly officially here, the dreaded midge has arrived in force. Time to break out the midge nets. :( :( :lol:

That “male model” has obviously never been close to the “dreaded midge”.

Seeing battle hardened forestry workers in fully enclosed suits - rather than trying to “tough it out” - convinced me it wasn’t a joke. The midge is an evil little bad start.