For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
Pete L wrote:I hadn't realised until very recently that some Belgians have German as their native language.

They keep to themselves, tbh. Very much an adopted child, with two dysfunctional foster parents who are wavering on the edge of a messy divorce.

Eupen is noted for having good restaurants (getting back to food). No airfields close by though. Nearest (grass) airfield is Verviers-theux EBTX, about 20km away. Spa (EBLH) is about 30km away.
By kanga
Pete L wrote:I hadn't realised until very recently that some Belgians have German as their native language.

My spoken Dutch is fairly poor, although I can read it readily. In Brugge, more than once when I opened a conversation in it, the response would come back in German :) The reasoning was, as was explained to me once, that:
A. I was clearly not a native speaker
B. I didn't sound like a francophone Belgian who had learnt the language
C. I was obviously not British, as Brits never know nor try to learn or speak other languages, let alone Flemish :roll:
D. So I was probably from the German minority :)
Pete L, OCB, cockney steve liked this
By Miscellaneous
@kanga thanks, but that only poses the question; what is your first language and is it so due your parent’s nationality?

Goes without saying that if I’m prying just tell me to sod off. :thumright:
By kanga
Both parents British and British native, but with mixed background, varied British Isles and varied other.

My first language was not English only because when I was first learning to talk my father was working abroad and I spent more time with our local nanny than with my parents :)
By Miscellaneous
Thanks @kanga, interesting to have been brought up by British English speaking parents yet not have English as your first language. Must be few like you! :D
By OCB
@Miscellaneous I’ve promised myself that when we get out of Covid lockdown, I’ll try to be at some Flyer meets.

I’m North Lanarkshire, so you know what I sound like.

@kanga , I’ve chatted with him over the years here - but never met, and there are a couple of parts of his (long and interesting) history I also share.

I’m kinda assuming a “forces” accent, that’s somewhat Middle England, but has a habit of picking up accents unconsciously
kanga liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Alcohol - I can take it or leave it but I’ve just broken out a bottle of navy strength dark rum since it’s been such a glorious sunny day. I measured out a regulation tot (on eight of a pint) and I’ve been transported back to 1962 as a 17 year old in the West Indies. You can keep your whisky. I could get used to this. Another ?
mick w, Pete L liked this
By Miscellaneous
@Bill McCarthy , Bill, Bill, it sounds as though it is not so much that you are enjoying the rum as it is you're enjoying the memories. :D Of course, have another, be rude not too. :thumright:

When in Cuba I did as the Cubans do, now I'm home I do what every nation does, drink whisky. :D

Now you've gone and put me in the mood for a dram. :shock:

This evening's meal, skate with various veg including the pictured wild garlic picked an hour before eating. Delicious it was too. :D

nallen, mick w liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Cheers, I am having another, beginning to relax, thing is, that soon I’ll be so relaxed I can’t stand. Yes indeed, great memories of Windies ‘62 - a lot happened in that year out there though.
By Miscellaneous
Bill McCarthy wrote:Cheers, I am having another...

Well that's gone and done it, I'll have to go pour myself a dram now. :shock:

Done, Slàinte mhath!

By Miscellaneous
On decision day it seems there's a need to keep the lockdown larder stocked for a wee while yet. :(

Today's additions are wild garlic butter, wild garlic and walnut pesto, bread from a brand new local 'cottage' baker and lemon curd and jam from a local, if not, then very close to octogenarian. :D I confess to have not taken any part in the procurement or production of any item featured, not even the taking of the pic. :oops:

kanga, mick w, Rob L liked this
By Bill Haddow
Bill McCarthy wrote:I’ve just broken out a bottle of navy strength dark rum

From time to time Morrisons have Wood's "Old Navy Rum" @ 57% on promotion at a handy price; I always avail myself.

Bill McCarthy wrote:I measured out a regulation tot (on eight of a pint)

That's the standard Scottish "Hauf", a half-gill.

Bill H