Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I recently interviewed Captain Andy O'Shea who was, before retiring, Ryanair's head of training for 18 years. As you can imagine Andy knows the industry well, and is worth listening to if you are considering training, in training or just finishing training.

Ian
By Wicksay
Thanks for sharing...

"when there's no work, be training, for when the work is there"... "stick with your goals" "control what YOU can control"

Good timing for me to hear that... funds, instructor and ATO not withstanding!
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Wicksay wrote:Thanks for sharing...

"when there's no work, be training, for when the work is there"... "stick with your goals" "control what YOU can control"

Have a look at this I wrote it a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks

Ian
Danny liked this
G-BLEW wrote:
Wicksay wrote:Thanks for sharing...

Have a look at this I wrote it a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks

Ian
Thanks Ian...
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
AndyR wrote:And don’t restrict yourself to just airlines...especially if you are prepared to work outside the UK.

Absolutely.

It sounds heartless (not meant that way at all), but those who have recently completed training, those currently in training and those thinking about training are currently receiving practical instruction in what should be ATPL Theory subject 15 – The volatility of the aviation world and its cyclic nature.

Commercial Flying has many opportunities (granted, many many more in good times), but you need to be flexible, you need to be prepared to live where the work is, and ideally you should have a plan B.

Ian
Flyingkeyboard, AndyR liked this