Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By PaulB
Which bit of the FAA stuff above allows an NPPL to fly (say) an N reg commander? What precludes someone with (say) a Microlight licence[1] flying an N reg Commander.

[1] It's a pilot licence so would be covered by para x (the underlined one)

Just curious....

Edited to add.... This implies that an NPPL *can* fly an N reg in the UK

Q Can I fly my 'N' registered aircraft on my NPPL?
A Yes. The FAA have confirmed 14 CFR 61.3 permits the holder of a UK-issued sub-ICAO licence, such as the NPPL or LAPL, to operate a US (N) registered aircraft within the UK.

http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/faq.php
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think you are all ignoring (at least) 2 things, firstly, that whether you like it or not, easa designates aircraft based in easa States that would be an easa aircraft if registered locally to be easa aircraft. The bossman's N reg Cessna is an easa aircraft for example. We are no longer in the EU but we are obeying easa stuff til at least end of December.... otherwise the 2nd thing being ignored would not apply, which is that rules about any nppl flying ANY easa aircraft, g reg or not, in the UK changed to NO a week ago from YES (til 31/12/2020 at least) - if the nppl site were completely current it would say something like "non easa designated aircraft on the g reg"
By Irv Lee
Bossman will maybe know, I suppose. If you are bored enough to search, (good luck!), it will probably be somewhere with the phrase third country rather than N reg
By GrahamB
From the Basic Regulation

ARTICLE 2 – SCOPE
1. This Regulation shall apply to:
(b) the design, production, maintenance and operation of aircraft, as well as their engines, propellers, parts, non-installed equipment and equipment to control aircraft remotely, where the aircraft is or will be:
(ii) registered in a third country and operated by an aircraft operator established, residing or with a principal place of business in the territory to which the Treaties apply;

By Jonnerslr
Asked the LAA today and got this...

I have just asked someone to check the website as from the 8th April 2020 you can only fly Annex 1 aircraft, so you are not allowed to fly your 'N' registered aircraft on an NPPL.

Just changed!

So Annex 1 then....? Looking at flying a Piper Cub, Chipmunk or Tiger Moth. Hoping they are all annex 1 other wise I don't know what is!

Any ideas?
By low&slow
Annex 1 is (roughly) home built, ex-military, microlight or historic aircraft + a few other bits. Chipmunks and Tiger Moths get there by being ex-military, I think Cubs qualify as historic.

CAA website G-INFO allows you to search by aircraft reg or use advanced search to search for a type. You can see under "EASA Category" whether or not it's an EASA aircraft. Almost anything that is non EASA can be flown by an NPPL holder with the appropriate rating.
Jonnerslr liked this
By Kemble Pitts
Wot he said, but just be careful with Cubs. Most of them are on an EASA C of A.

There is a whole world of play things out there that are Annex 1, loads of lovely home-builts and historics.