Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
As an FI I'm probably going to get asked to deal with this and I'm not quite clear what is being 'exempted' - call me stupid if you feel the need (we'll all need a new hobby at the moment) :D

As I read the ORSs (all that relate to an EASA PPL, UK PPL, NPPL) the SEP rating validity can be extended to 22 November by an FI briefing if:
- the pilot has not managed to do the hour flying with an instructor
and/or
- the requisite number of flight hours

i.e. the pilot has achieved none of the normal revalidation requirements.

Is that how others are reading it?
By Cardinal Sin
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have tried and tried to understand this and I think I understand the ratings section but not the medical aspects.

I have SEP - expires July 2021. IR(R) expires July 2020. Class 2 Medical expires July 2020.

As I read it my SEP is irrelevant because it goes till next year. My IR(R) is extended to November this year but I need a briefing and some complex paperwork exchange. I don’t understand what’s happening to my medical aside from the fact that I will still have LAPL privileges on my medical (because it’s expiry is a year later than the Class 2) but that’s no use for IFR.

Anyone have any wisdom on that? Thanks.
By Paul_Sengupta
Cardinal Sin wrote:Class 2 Medical expires July 2020.

I don’t understand what’s happening to my medical

ORS4 1374 States:

2) Relevant aeroplane and helicopter pilots, instructors and examiners are exempted from the standard validity or other time periods of any of the following that expire on or after 16 March 2020 and before 31 October 2020, which may be extended until the end of the validity period of this Exemption:

(c) Part-MED medical certificates (see note 4(e));

There's more on the medical within the document.
By PaulB
I'm not an FI, but I read it as if, for whatever reason, the pilot cannot get the signature before the rating expires, then after an FI briefing (which could be (and I guess probably would be) remote) they can be issued with a temporary extension until whatever date it is in November.

There are some date restrictions on when the ratings expired.
By Cookie
We have been over subscribed for this seminar, and plan to scheduling a further seminar shortly.

ATB Cookie
By Irv Lee
My 'what's new' one pager (http://www.higherplane.co.uk/bfr-ground.pdf) has burst its banks for the first time in 20 years and page two may be of some use to prime readers with something before jumping into the legalese of the actual exemptions (which they should). Some feedback I am getting after reading mine suggests some clubs/instructors really don't understand the rules, and specifically don't realise that after the briefing:
a) the national licence requires a dual flight once flying restarts, for the pilot to have the rating extended. (Side note, I wonder if when we restart, we should leave instructing to the youngies for a while, they are rumoured to be more resilient than us oldies)
b) a briefing and log book signing (or form signing) does not automatically make the LAPL(A) holder valid, all it does is, when the pilot next flies p1, it extends how far the pilot can look back to find the required hours/to&l. This means the pilot is only valid on next p1 flight if the 'usual' requirements are met over a 32 month historic period.... but as I maintain, many don't know the 24 month 'usual' anyway and seem to work to a forward date of "next 2 yearly dual flight" or some SEP future expiry date that some instructor or examiner has mistakenly written into their licence, but with 32 months there is probably more chance of them accidentally being valid! Perhaps this briefing is the time to establish if they understand that they are working historically, purely for their own protection should insurance companies ever understand the rules after an incident. AND of course a LAPL(A) holder may pay for the specified briefing not realising if he/she did all the historic requirements fairly recently, they will count on a 24 month history when we restart - ie: the temporary move to 32 months is not compulsory, just like if you had an EASA-SEP rating expiring well into next year, why pay for a briefing? - but pilots will be bamboozled into paying for briefings that are not needed.
By Irv Lee
@MattL do you mean it doesn't make sense in that it is not clear what an expiring rating holder needs to do to extend, or it is clear what it wants them to do, but the requirement content doesn't make sense? I suspect you mean the latter.
My understanding is this; My NPPL SSEA rating expires 30th June. If by, lets say end of the 1st week in June it looks likely I won't be able to do the instructor hour because we're still locked down, I will get an instructor or examiner to brief and sign my log book and class rating page, thus extending my licence validity until Nov 22nd.

Is that correct?
By Irv Lee
@Robin500 negative. Have a look at 1376. For non Easa licences/ratings, you have the briefing (and admin for it) even though you cannot fly, then once flying is on again, you fly dual as your 1st flight. THEN you get an extension signed off to Nov 22nd. You don't need to do any of this if you don't mind an nppl ssea prof check (the content is the GST handling only from memory, which is not major) when you restart.