Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By keith555
I'm currently abroad and intending to self-study. As I understand it, the exams will all be online after June. I found a document on the CAA website, quoted below, which states that I need to have a Training Organization book the exam on my behalf. What is the cheapest way I can get a Training Organization to do this? I've found one or two places on the web but, naturally, they want you to be enrolled on one of their courses before they'll book an exam for you.

You are not able to book a Private Pilot Licence exam via your account in the candidate portal. All bookings will be undertaken by your Training Organisation. To make a booking please contact your Training Organisation.

From this document.

Thanks.
Firstly, as a DTO we are expected to - at the very least - guide and monitor students through their ground studies for the written exams. There is also still a requirement for ground school but the original 100 hours requirement was removed some years ago. It is up to individual schools and clubs how they deal with the fact that there is no minimum. I'm expecting to be asked that question at our first audit. ATOs, I assume, have to have something laid down in their documentation. Students also need to be assessed as to whether they are ready to sit any one exam and also need to be recommended as ready following the assessment.

Regarding the new online system (which may well be delayed by current events) it is my understanding from the CAA Roadshow that the attempts have to be on a PC (other devices may be possible), the IP address of which has been registered with the authority and that the Examiner has to remain with the student throughout the attempt to prevent cheating.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I think that prevents any attempt at remote sitting abroad.

My charge will definitely have to climb by around 80% per attempt, since I will be unable to sit at my desk (administrating) while invigilating in another room.
Thanks. That's actually one of the ones I'd come across, although I found it embedded in the website of Lincoln Flight school. I guess I'll probably end up using them.

The reason that I hesitated is that it's £9.99 per month per subject and you lose all access as soon as you stop paying. I'd have been happier with a system that allows you to continue to refer to the material after you've passed the exams.

Also, I found the explanation a little confusing. They say that in order for them to issue you an exam readiness certificate in any subject, you must pass "three of our on-line exams". I'm assuming that means they will generate 3 different exams in the same subject, and you have to pass them all before you receive the readiness certificate for that subject, which is then valid for 3 months.
At the moment they are doing COVID-19 special & you pay once & can renew for another month (over & over) for free. This is a time limited offer though.

As for the tests - there are progress tests after each chapter & then an end of course mock test. Passing three mock test gets you their recommendation to sit the real paper - it’s a print out certificate. Each mock test is random generated at the time.
keith555 liked this
ArrowStraight wrote:Regarding the new online system (which may well be delayed by current events) it is my understanding from the CAA Roadshow that the attempts have to be on a PC (other devices may be possible), the IP address of which has been registered with the authority and that the Examiner has to remain with the student throughout the attempt to prevent cheating.

Yes, I guess that makes sense. Perhaps it might open the way for more exam centres to become available abroad. I guess all that is need is a PC and invigilator.
StuartW wrote:At the moment they are doing COVID-19 special & you pay once & can renew for another month (over & over) for free. This is a time limited offer though.

As for the tests - there are progress tests after each chapter & then an end of course mock test. Passing three mock test gets you their recommendation to sit the real paper - it’s a print out certificate. Each mock test is random generated at the time.

Thanks. I'll probably use them. The Air Law is currently free, so I'll see how I get on with that. I've emailed them to ask where I need to be in order to sit the online exam when it is implemented.