For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Just punting this to see if anyone is interested.

There has rarely been a better time to invest in equities, the market has collapsed and there are bargains to be had. Who was it said the wise investor buys when everyone is selling and sells when everyone is buying?

So a little game. Pick one stock in which to invest a virtual £1,000. We'll ignore trading costs for simplicity and just used the quoted mid price. Only whole shares, so if for your £1,000 you could buy 27.9 shares that's just 27 for the game.

Every Friday evening I shall do the arithmetic (update the spreadsheet) post the closing values and we'll see who tops the league

Want to play? Just post your selected share here. The symbol if you know it, and I will update the league in this first post as we go along.

If nobody is interested, I shall just sulk.

Rob P

The League

Rob P: Diageo - DGE - Bought £1,000 worth at £24.605 per share = 40 shares. Current value £984.20

My thinking is that as the restrictions are relaxed it may be party time and their pubs and drinks business will quickly regain some of the lost ground.

The astute amongst you might also note that this is a subtle way of gleaning thoughts from a number of people cleverer than I am. Drat! :evil:
Last edited by Rob P on Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
eltonioni, rusty eagle liked this
Puuuleaase!

Equities are fur amachurs.

A stock price can go to zero - as anyone who remembers Dotcon can attest (yes, the “n” isn’t a typo), or near to zero for those who bought “bargain” banking stocks about 10 years ago....

A commonly traded commodity can almost never go to zero.

If you want to buy anything right now, it would Brent or WTI oil. Simple monthly buys to flatten out variance, and an exit strategy that suits your risk profile.