For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Leodisflyer
We are trying to make productive use of the extra time from being at home. Working through out of date goods in the larder has become a thing.

Have been checking for obvious signs - e.g. pest damage, mould and the rancid taste of old fats and oils, but so far no issues,

So far I've been able to make some very tasty seeded bread with various flours (although being careful as flour is harder to get than fresh bread at the moment). Gram flour made some superb onion bhajis. Rice flour, long past its best before date, was great for some tasty shortbread. A big bag of chippati flour, with its best before date long lost, made for some tasty chapatis with a veg curry to go with the bhajis.

Homemade "sun dried" tomatoes in olive oil from 2-3 years ago have kept well.

Today I'm made a start to he baking cupboard. What's left of the glace cherries, with dates going back to 2016 and 2017, has been mixed up with some out of date almond flour and it's being turned into an almond and cherry cake. At the same time I'm making almond and rhubarb tart (the rhubarb is fresh).

Tomorrow's project will be hot cross buns to use up mixed peel with dates to match the cherries and I'll also make fresh pasta for freezing.

Anybody else using their time to do some cooking and baking?
By Bill McCarthy
I’ve become a dab hand at making girdle scones - found some peasemeal flour just about to go out of date and used it in a 50/50 mix with plain flour. Piping hot, they are bliddy good.
Mind you I am not baking for bakings sake - just to have a bit of variety.
At 03 dubs during the night when I am up and about at the lambing, it is a good filler. Had quad lambs born this morning - quite unusual.
Leodisflyer, seanxair, Charles Hunt and 1 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:I
At 03 dubs during the night when I am up and about at the lambing, it is a good filler. Had quad lambs born this morning - quite unusual.

Got any pics to brighten up the boredom?

Peter
By Pete L
Leodisflyer wrote:. At the same time I'm making almond and rhubarb tart (the rhubarb is fresh).

Recipe for this in New Scientist this week. Will be tried tomorrow.
Leodisflyer liked this
By rf3flyer
Bill McCarthy wrote:...Piping hot, they are bliddy good...

That's what hunger does for you Bill. :wink:
For myself, just getting another batch of sourdough bread under way and Mrs rf3 is getting the salad and greens beds sorted for the coming months.
Leodisflyer liked this
By Leodisflyer
Pete L wrote:
Leodisflyer wrote:. At the same time I'm making almond and rhubarb tart (the rhubarb is fresh).

Recipe for this in New Scientist this week. Will be tried tomorrow.

Mine came from the BBC web site. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rhu ... umble-tart

The rhubarb has been roasted, the pastry made and the crumb topping is mixed and ready, but have decided to hold off the actual bake until tomorrow due to this:

The tin was slightly too large and I'd reduce the amount of sugar next time, but it's very tasty. It had a couple of extra egg whites in it that were left over from the shortcrust pastry for the rhubarb tart.

The cherries were 3-4 years out of date, which may have added to the sweetness. Recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cherry-almond-cake

BBC site is a good resource as you can search any ingredient you have and it comes up with recipes.
Pete L liked this
By Bill McCarthy
I’ll post a pic’ as soon as son arrives (he lives up the farm road) as it is all a mystery to me. I wish I had the phone with me when I was ploughing the other day - thousands of gulls following behind getting the worms and the odd field mouse. Lots of Oystercatchers, Lapwing and one or two “willy wagtails” on the fringes - all a sign that the soil is healthy, at least.
Had to put out some old hay bales this afternoon as temporary shelter for the lambs - a heavy snow shower came out of the blue
By Pete L
We live in the deep south and the farm next door got their lambs in as the wind rose.
By Rob P
Bill McCarthy wrote:I’ve become a dab hand at making girdle scones -

Scones in the shape of underwear? That's novel.

Rob P
By Trent772
6 jars of blackberry jelly

12 jars of marmalade as soon as Amazon deliver my jars.

May make an emergency batch of Delia chilli jam......