Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I notice when I drive into a car park there are signs posted about the "contract" or "T&Cs" the driver has entered once the vehicle arrives on the concerned piece of land, including any automatic fines that result from overstaying, and vehicles there being at the owners own risk.

Is there a similar legal mechanism for aircraft where pilots can automatically enter indemnity arrangements with participating aerodrome owners/operators so they can operate out of hours without having to complete forms/formalities etc?
You have to distinguish between the wording "agreed" to (by conduct if you are parking, and whether you see the sign or not) and the legal effect of that arrangement. As just one example, parking "at the owner's risk" is almost never true - at law the car park will still bear some, and perhaps quite a lot of risk.

As a simple example, I could allow you to enter my garden only if you sign a paper indemnifying me against any claims you or your heirs might make. But if my undisclosed tiger kills and eats you, that paper is worthless.
Sooty25 liked this
By James Chan
So there are three things here:

1) No out of hours movements permitted
2) Some out of hours movements permitted, with indemnity forms/PPR completed like the one you've described
3) Out of hours permitted, with no form filling and other formalities needed

I was being curious about point 3.
By Gertie
profchrisreed wrote:As a simple example, I could allow you to enter my garden only if you sign a paper indemnifying me against any claims you or your heirs might make. But if my undisclosed tiger kills and eats you, that paper is worthless.

As a politician I have visited lots of people in their homes.

I haven't yet been invited into one of those homes that has a "guard dog on patrol / enter at own risk" signs on the door, but if so invited I would decline, and conduct the business on the doorstep. Probably OTT, as such signs probably have no legal effect.
By Lefty
Very few, if any established airports / airfields offer No. 3.

Why would they? What do they get out of it - other than a bunch of potential liability.

If you own or rent a farm strip, then you can do as you please, however any commercial airfield would automatically assume a certain degree of liability for anything that happens on or near their airfield because of an aircraft using their airfield.

As an absolute minimum, they wouldn’t welcome the adverse publicity resulting from you being found in a smouldering heap on the airfield the next morning - or worse if you were to crash into a nearby housing estate.
By skydriller
Lefty wrote:Very few, if any established airports / airfields offer No. 3.
....In the UK...

Other places manage just fine. Must be the air... :wink:
By Lefty
skydriller wrote:
Lefty wrote:Very few, if any established airports / airfields offer No. 3.
....In the UK...

Other places manage just fine. Must be the air... :wink:

Regrettably very true. :?