Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Peter Gristwood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
jcouch wrote:Title,Description

Flyboys,"2006 The adventures of the Lafayette Escadrille, young Americans who volunteered for the French military before the U.S. entered World War I, and became the country's first fighter pilots"

Sorry but that is one to avoid.

An American version of Aces High, without the sensitivity and masses of CGI.
Peter Gristwood wrote:
jcouch wrote:Title,Description

Flyboys,"2006 The adventures of the Lafayette Escadrille, young Americans who volunteered for the French military before the U.S. entered World War I, and became the country's first fighter pilots"

Sorry but that is one to avoid.

.. and the first US fighter pilots were volunteers with the RFC; mostly, I believe, already in UK or Canada at private schools or university whose British or Empire colleagues were volunteering

</Nerd>
By jcouch
Consolidating the responses there are some that are real awful but I didn't want to add "my opinion" so they are all there. Red Tails was awful but some are brilliant. The Bollywood one is in Hindi! Over to you to find out.
By Cowshed
OK it's not a film. but a couple of years ago someone on here recommend the TV series "Piece of Cake" from 1988. Its still available on DVD (I doubt it's streamed anywhere, but could be wrong), and I thoroughly recommend it. It takes a little bit of time to get going, but is worth it. Worth reading the book too.
LavanyaLea, Rob P liked this
By Lockhaven
flyingeeza wrote:There's some excellent real flying footage in the 100-odd minutes of time-travel escapism that is "The Final Countdown"

And the scene were the Tomcat pulls up low over the water after chasing the Zero was nearly a real disaster shown here at around 4:15 flying was suspended for a while after that near miss :shock:

Trent772 liked this
By flyingeeza
Lockhaven wrote:And the scene were the Tomcat pulls up low over the water after chasing the Zero was nearly a real disaster shown here at around 4:15 flying was suspended for a while after that near miss :shock:

Indeed. A 1 turn spin at that height is undesirable! Quick recovery and full taps saved his butt that day.
By BobD
Cowshed wrote:OK it's not a film. but a couple of years ago someone on here recommend the TV series "Piece of Cake" from 1988. Its still available on DVD (I doubt it's streamed anywhere, but could be wrong), and I thoroughly recommend it. It takes a little bit of time to get going, but is worth it. Worth reading the book too.

This was on" ForcesTV" on my Sky box a couple of weeks ago, so may be re-run. Unfortunately, I only caught the last 4 of the 8 episodes, but thoroughly enjoyed them. :D
By akg1486
Aviation isn't the main topic of the film, but North by Northwest has that great chase scene with an aircraft and Cary Grant in the field:
Somebody will no doubt soon tells us what aircraft that is. :D
skydriller, JAFO liked this