Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
johnm wrote:As I frequently point out it's never that simple. I am reminded that Bader lost his legs and wrecked a valuable aircraft playing silly buggers and became a burden on the hard pressed medicos and then somehow contrived to become a hero to some.

To me, for one. Certainly lost his legs playing silly buggers, certainly he was not universally adored, certainly he was not a strategic thinker but the obstacles he then overcame through sheer force of will and the disabled people that he helped or was an inspiration to, makes him a hero to me.

Sorry for the thread drift, back to the squabbling over whether stay at home unless you absolutely have to leave means something else.
By PaulB
Last edited by PaulB on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just come off a call with a young fit colleague easing himself back into work after 10 days in bed with it.
Perhaps if there was some of the detail I've just listened to being reported in the media, there might be a few more people locking themselves away.
JAFO, velostar liked this
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:
patowalker wrote:... My labour was pleasantly interruped by someone calling out to ask if I was patowalker. ... :)

.. in English, Spanish or Lunfardo ? :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunfardo

In English, but with all this business of social distancing and people not staying at home, it is better not to let on that a forumite was out for a walk on rural roads and engaged another in conversation. :)

There has been an increase in the use of Spanish and lunfardo this last couple of weeks, as old friends, stuck at home, make contact. :thumleft:
kanga liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Some time back we discussed personal freedoms, and I wrote that people's freedoms stop where they encroach other people's rights..

I get your point FD. :thumright:

However. :D

Prior to Tuesday's announcement there was quite an emotive discussion regarding whether we should fly or not. It was suggested a reason not to fly was to prevent others being encouraged to participate in their choice of activity. I hadn't considered that and have given it a lot of consideration since. Would that not be (at the time) asking pilots not to participate in what is their right to fly to pander to the hard of thinking and, on the basis the pilot is not responsible for the actions of all others, it was wrong to suggest we shouldn't fly?

In other words we were being told exercising our right to fly was unacceptable.

I think I know your response but interested in what it will be. :D
By Waveflyer
Miscellaneous wrote:.......I think I know your response but interested in what it will be. :D

I hope it’s on the lines of - act sensibly and responsibly.

Put up another picture of your Lochs :thumleft:
Last edited by Waveflyer on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob L
PaulB wrote:The restrictions on movement that Boris accounted earlier in the week have been the law of the land since 1:00pm this afternoon

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

I was immediately alarmed about the paragraph stating:
(4) Paragraph (1) does not apply to any person who is homeless.

But my error; I am happy to see that there appears to be provision for the homeless in (for example):
(7) A person who is responsible for a community centre must ensure that, during the emergency period, the community centre is closed except where it is used to provide essential voluntary activities or urgent public support services (including the provision of food banks or other support for the homeless or vulnerable people, blood donation sessions or support in an emergency).

(6) A place of worship may be used—
(a)for funerals,
(b)to broadcast an act of worship, whether over the internet or as part of a radio or television broadcast, or
(c)to provide essential voluntary services or urgent public support services (including the provision of food banks or other support for the homeless or vulnerable people, blood donation sessions or support in an emergency).

(my emphasis)

There may be more places in the legislation to which PaulB quite rightly refers that help the homeless.