Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
It's certainly going to be a costly business for us all, some more than others. I'm trying to be positive and periodically remind myself that if given a choice between my flying being inconvenienced and the hardship some others are having to endure, I'd choose my own costs and inconveniences. :D

Let's hope it doesn't last long enough for your accumulated lost flying costs to equate to the cost of an LPC. :thumright:
Just a reminder that it isn't just about us.

The flying clubs and schools where we have built up relationships with instructors and rent club aircraft are going to take a big financial hit. If the shutdown is prolonged, some won't survive in their current form. Similarly airfield owners.

Let's wish them all well, as they are vital for us once the shutdown is over
Dave W, GrahamB, Stu B and 7 others liked this
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
noted significant debate in the social media about whether pilots should fly

The updated rules from Monday 23rd evening for me were clear - 4 exemptions: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rom-others

Otherwise, we're “locked down” at home.

Here's my take on it:

1. Exercise: Not an excuse to fly here. Running/Cycling to sit in a cockpit and then onto aerobatics doesn't count. And don’t try flying by pedalling. :-D
2. Medical: Has to be extremely exceptional - time is critical, roads are blocked, and ambulance cannot get to you.
3. Shopping: Has to be extremely exceptional - no food / water, roads are blocked, and deliveries cannot get to you or your local supermarkets.
4. Travelling to/from work: Those who work in GA for community purposes and is deemed critical (police, S&R, ambulance, aircraft safety inspections/engineering to support these critical tasks, etc.)

except to check on the security of their aircraft and facilities when absolutely necessary

Hmmm..... not sure if that's even allowed unless it's someone's job as a security guard? Going out for the purpose of checking on my motorbike or car if left at an external garage doesn’t fall into one of the four categories above.
By Flying_john
Does seem that a well known group of Diamond aeroplanes out of Bournemouth don't seem to think this applies to them !

It is hard to abide by the rules esp with peer pressure not to do it, despite thinking you can justify a quick flight and then when you see others doing it makes it even tougher !
By James Chan
don't seem to think this applies to them

Same goes with a barbecue group in Coventry, and I'm sure there will be others too. The Coronavirus Bill has now become an Act, so the police will be able to carry out better law enforcement.

Edited to add: Just looking at FR24, I don’t know if people are breaking the rules to fly for leisure or not. Maybe they live in a private strip and commuting to their place of work where the air ambulance resides. And they cannot WFH. Or maybe their work actually requires that flight. Who knows....!
Last edited by James Chan on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
By JAFO
Flying_john wrote:It is hard to abide by the rules esp with peer pressure not to do it, despite thinking you can justify a quick flight and then when you see others doing it makes it even tougher !

No, it doesn't and no, it doesn't.

The rules are easy to abide by in this respect - don't go to the airfield, don't get in the aeroplane, don't start it and you'll find it easy.
Hawkwind, GonzoEGLL, PaulB and 1 others liked this
By GonzoEGLL
JAFO wrote:
Flying_john wrote:It is hard to abide by the rules esp with peer pressure not to do it, despite thinking you can justify a quick flight and then when you see others doing it makes it even tougher !

No, it doesn't and no, it doesn't.

The rules are easy to abide by in this respect - don't go to the airfield, don't get in the aeroplane, don't start it and you'll find it easy.

It is really disappointing to see those who are breaking them.
Flyin'Dutch', AlanC, Hawkwind and 1 others liked this
By GonzoEGLL
Sadly it is. Many hospitals' ICUs are already full. If I, or you, get sick I would very much like there to be capacity within the emergency services and hospital system to treat you or me, and not someone who had a forced landing, or crashed his or her car on the way to the aerodrome to go for a flight. etc etc etc.

We're being told to stay at home for a few weeks.

It's not difficult.
wigglyamp, PaulB, T67M liked this