For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Pay is so poor that the amount of people who need to apply for and get in work benefits is at an all time high; maybe if they were paid a decent wage we could all stop subsidies like that and parents would have enough money to buy their own kids a decent meal and they would also not rely on school warm meals.

The folks on the coal face are often reported to be worrying about the nutrition their pupils get through the school holidays.

Hungry kids can't learn very well and their brain development lags never to catch up.
Spooky, ThePipster, nallen and 3 others liked this
By JoeC
defcribed wrote:They're not geared up to deliver a week's worth of lunches to people's homes. All that will have to have been set up from scratch, and costs money. Then remember they're a business, so even if the gross margin on the food approaches 30-40% (which I highly doubt) then they've got to run their business on that before coming out with a net margin.

My real ire is not directed at his criticism of the cost. But then he's in charge of the school, so if he doesn't like the offering for that price then buy it somewhere else. See if anyone else wants to take a punt on offering to put that package together and all the logistics that support it for less than £11 per week's worth of lunches delivered. Good luck.

Where are you getting your information from?

The catering companies are not delivering this to homes, people like my wife are volunteering to do it. The catering companies are delivering in bulk to schools whose staff are sorting the logistics or asking parents to come to school.

Food like this is dirt cheap. Go to any wholesaler.

There is no supply issues with food at present. Going for the lowest quality is a margin decision.

So, how has your opinion become knowledge?

Hysterically attacking those who are doing most, like this teacher, for those kids who need it most because it fits with your dogma is, at the present time, shameful.

No surprise you and your type post anonymously.
Wide-Body, Dodo liked this
By avtur3
ThePipster wrote:^^^^^^^^ FD is right and poverty kills...... probably many more each year than Covid-19 ever will. :pale:

Pipster

This is why one of the commentators has said that if our economy drops by more than 6% (GDP) then we'd be better off letting the virus run wild than trying to contain it.

Personally I simply do not have the information to hand to make such an observation but clearly there are people out there looking at the "bigger picture", however distasteful that may appear to be.
By avtur3
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Pay is so poor that the amount of people who need to apply for and get in work benefits is at an all time high; maybe if they were paid a decent wage we could all stop subsidies like that and parents would have enough money to buy their own kids a decent meal and they would also not rely on school warm meals.

The folks on the coal face are often reported to be worrying about the nutrition their pupils get through the school holidays.

Hungry kids can't learn very well and their brain development lags never to catch up.

The problem is that too many of us are too comfortable to be able to identify with this, Our older daughter is a primary teacher (year 5) in a school that, from its location, you would call a school in a very middle-class area.

Beneath the surface the volume of social problems is unbelievable. Kids turning up hungry is only part of the problem. Every day she has to spend time on behavioral and safe guarding issues. This means that the classroom TA (teaching assistant) does the teaching while the teacher does the legally required admin. On top of this, there is the issue of 'special needs' where they have to deal with parents who "want" their kids to have some sort of label. Seriously, unless you know a teacher you wouldn't believe what they have to put up with. (apologies for the off-topic rant)

What is going to happen to these kids now is anybodies guess. .... but it wont be good.
kanga, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By defcribed
JoeC wrote:There is no supply issues with food at present.

You astonish me. Go and try buying a shed-load of it. See how you get on.

If you want to discuss questions of anonymity I suggest you PM me. You seem to use your first name and an initial, which is hardly a unique identifier. I'd prefer it if you stuck to the issue, but then personalising the debate is a favourite tactic of the left.

My point is the sense of entitlement, not the detail. The fact that even in a huge crisis, nothing is ever good enough for some people.
Miscellaneous liked this
By defcribed
avtur3 wrote:Beneath the surface the volume of social problems is unbelievable. Kids turning up hungry is only part of the problem. Every day she has to spend time on behavioral and safe guarding issues. This means that the classroom TA (teaching assistant) does the teaching while the teacher does the legally required admin. On top of this, there is the issue of 'special needs' where they have to deal with parents who "want" their kids to have some sort of label. Seriously, unless you know a teacher you wouldn't believe what they have to put up with. (apologies for the off-topic rant)

This is so true. My next-door neighbour is a primary school teacher - we often do the morning dog walk together and I get to hear all about it.

With a class of 30, she spends about half of her time and effort dealing with the antics of one dangerously violent child. He hits her, kicks her, chases her round the classroom, all on a regular basis. It's gone on for a couple of years and every avenue of support/remedy/sanction has been exhausted.

The touchy-feely system refuses to exclude this child. It places his interests above those of 29 others in the class, and of course way above hers.

She made an interesting observation that, when we were a few days away from school closures and rumours abounded that it was coming, about 1/3 of her class suddenly stopped coming to school. Guess which ones? The ones with 'economically inactive' parents.
By PeteSpencer
While not wishing in any way to be an apologist for the almost continuous stream of bile, invective,harsh criticism and personal attacks that flows from a (fairly small) number of contributors' keyboards on here from under the veil of anonymity, it is the case that some employers and regulatory bodies have a (fairly strong) view on their employees' use of social media.

When I was working fulltime I posted on here under a pseudonym (much to 'er indoors disgust at my choice).
When I stopped fulltime work, but continued for 10 further years at my part-time job (ironically for my Regulatory Body), I partially surfaced from under the invisibility cloak with Initials only.

However upon full retirement I am happy to use my full name: it does in fact encourage me to 'count to ten' before hitting 'send', and wait overnight for the real stinkers. :lol:

I recommend it.

Peter :wink:
By johnm
Much of this is not new, but what is new is the sense of entitlement in all levels of society and the generally poor value from outsourced services.

The sense of entitlement started in the 70s when the loony left got people focussed on rights at the expense of responsibilities, it was compounded by Thatcher and co when they deregulated the legal profession and opened up the compensation culture with ambulance chasing lawyers.

The poor quality and value of outsourced services is largely due to poor specification writing and the demand to take the cheapest bid, imposed from central government.
By PaulB
Pete L wrote:Remind me. :D

Please, no........ :D
By johnm
Bill McCarthy wrote:Anyone remember what BREXIT was all about ?

I do, but I'm not telling you :D