Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Given the weather before the lockdown, a fair proportion of the Rotax-engined fleet are likely to have fuel tanks (and possibly additional stocks in Jerry cans) of winter spec mogas.

Potential for vapour lock if we all start flying again on a warm day in Summer, although that will be mitigated to some extent by change in composition through evaporation for fuel held in aircraft tanks.

Worth also checking fuel filters before flight to check for the presence of gum (by products of fuel oxidation)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:Second best, I guess a careful run up on the ground, to reach operating temp for a reasonable time to boil off any moisture but not to overheat a stationary engine.

My (inexpert) understanding is that a ground run can never get the oil hot enough without overheating other parts of the engine - the lack of airflow in an air cooled engine is critical. Indeed, the only thing worse than ground running an engine is manually turning it over without taking it for a flight immediately afterwards.

If you can't fly, just leave well alone.
Flyin'Dutch', Rob L, Nick and 2 others liked this
T67M wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Second best, I guess a careful run up on the ground, to reach operating temp for a reasonable time to boil off any moisture but not to overheat a stationary engine.

My (inexpert) understanding is that a ground run can never get the oil hot enough without overheating other parts of the engine - the lack of airflow in an air cooled engine is critical. Indeed, the only thing worse than ground running an engine is manually turning it over without taking it for a flight immediately afterwards.

If you can't fly, just leave well alone.

That's what I feared: I did actually read the IO360CIC manual from cover to cover as it fell to me to do all the 'running in flights ' a few years ago of our 'zero-houred' (that's what it says on the 'return to service' document) rebuilt engine after the original pilot who was to do the job cried off..

I must admit it did feel strange stoogeing around on full power as recommended for several hours with a 'brand new' engine.

Peter
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:How long do forumites aircraft normally go without flying?

For me, from a few weeks up to four years!

That would cover the range I had in mind. :lol:

The OP surprised me somewhat in that my experience is such that a a month or two + is not uncommon for aeroplanes to remain in the hangar.
If I don't have time or money, I'll leave it 3 weeks.
At a push 4 weeks, but only if due exceptional circumstances or very poor wx, and on the very best promise it'll be flown on the 5th week.
At that point engine inactivity becomes my highest priority and even if it's only 1/2 to 3/4 hr I'll find a way. The temp comes up really quickly so despite the general rule being 1hr at temp, 1/2 hr + should be ok.
I think I ended up at 6 weeks once last year and was climbing the walls.
5 weeks this year due to waterlogged field.
I know she's under utilised but I can't bring myself round to sharing again.
Not yet anyways.
Regarding the OP exactly, most aircraft, excluding possible engine inactivity induced corrosion, shouldn't need too much attention.
If the battery isn't particularly healthy, then you'll find out.
I would do a very thorough pre-flight, if you perhaps have become comfortable with a little less attention to detail (just the essentials) then the 1st and 2nd second sortie may warrant a very thorough one, maybe like you would do if teaching a newbie. (I find that's a good way to remind me).
If it looks like more than 3 weeks we'll get the donkey inhibited and just clean and check periodically ours is just out of annual and the main issue at the moment is getting the AMP approved for the reissue of ARC in May.
Autumn 2018 my little aircraft sat in the hangar for 4 months while I plodded through the nausea inflicted by one of EASA's more inexplicable actions. Not inhibited but when finally cleared to go she started and ran just fine and flew equally well. I never saw anything untoward at subsequent oil changes to cause any concern.
It's not a Ly/Cont though, just a rugged little VW!
Miscellaneous, townleyc liked this