Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-SLOT
General Aviation is widely used in the United States during periods of local and national emergencies, transporting both people and supplies.

Can we organise the same here?

For example, those of us with access to aircraft could help by positioning supplies around the country or even collecting and delivering from abroad. Most of our aircraft can be operated single pilot, minimising the risk of cross-infection between crew.

As a community, we're ready, willing and able to help.
Last edited by G-SLOT on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Morten liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A constructive thread :thumright:

What GA can offer is transport and, potentially, surveillance.

So how can the GA community sell that to those who need it - assuming there is an increased need for those services today?
By johnm
Good idea, I'm still trying to figure out whether I can go flying or not. Airport doesn't seem to be closed but I'm not supposed to travel unless it's essential, but what's "essential" does preserving my sanity count :roll:
By TLRippon
No we can’t.

Just stay at home. There are plenty of government resources and we live in a relatively small country with good infrastructure.

The new rules are in place and like it or not that means the end of private flying for the time being. There are plenty of ground based voluntary tasks which need people, pick one if you want to be altruistic.
Miscellaneous, Cessna571, JAFO and 13 others liked this
By johnm
TLRippon wrote:No we can’t.

Just stay at home. There are plenty of government resources and we live in a relatively small country with good infrastructure.

The new rules are in place and like it or not that means the end of private flying for the time being. There are plenty of ground based voluntary tasks which need people, pick one if you want to be altruistic.

Does running the food bank collection service and shopping for old people count....??? says the 72 year old......
By FlarePath
Does running the food bank collection service and shopping for old people count....??? says the 72 year old......

All good and welcome stuff, but you still can't fly for fun no matter how community minded.

But there does seem to be a readily available resource of rapid transport of small vital supplies available from the light GA sector that maybe G Shapps could look at.
By JAFO
johnm wrote:Good idea, I'm still trying to figure out whether I can go flying or not. Airport doesn't seem to be closed but I'm not supposed to travel unless it's essential, but what's "essential" does preserving my sanity count :roll:

We may have to start to look at the possibility that we're too late with that one. :wink:
Paul_Sengupta, Sooty25 liked this
By Miscellaneous
TheKentishFledgling wrote:
johnm wrote:Good idea, I'm still trying to figure out whether I can go flying or not. Airport doesn't seem to be closed but I'm not supposed to travel unless it's essential, but what's "essential" does preserving my sanity count :roll:

I really hope you’re joking, John?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think he is. Go on, John, be honest.
By G-JWTP
The USA is a big place.
The UK not so big.

With the reduction of road traffic it is easier to move stuff around by road.

We have Army, Navy and Air Force there in place to support the Civilian services should it become necessary.

The object from last nights government edict was to keep non essential people at home.

I've shut down my small company and sent everyone home.

I would hope everyone does the same.

G-JWTP
exfirepro, avtur3 liked this
By johnm
I am not going flying, though there is no particular reason why I couldn't do so and still meet the social distancing advice. I am deeply grateful to all the half wits unable to act responsibly and to those in authority unable to control them.

My wife is shopping for the old folk (which includes me :D ) and at Waitrose they reserved early opening at 8.00 am for oldies. I'm told they formed an orderly queue a good 2 metres apart and the store set a limit of 47 people at a time and counted folk in and counted folk out. They also had marks on the floor near the tills to guide suitable distancing.

I am asking myself why this couldn't all have been in place a month ago when the loony crowds were hoarding.....part of the answer is the lost of art of civil defence and contingency planning......
By Dave W
John, if this had been done a month ago even more businesses would have folded than are already likely to.

Also, in practice, what do you reckon "...those in authority [being able] to control them" would actually look like?

I expect that none of us would like the answer to that, and obviously the answer would apply to us all not just to "them".

There is no simple solution to this unprecedented problem. People are clearly doing their best in a complex balancing act. Needlessly pointing fingers is at best unhelpful.
G-SLOT, defcribed, Hawkwind and 1 others liked this