Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Neither a city nor really a landmark, but I enjoyed seeing this topiary today.

It is at the entrance to a hospital which has a historical connection to the RAF - and their on - site restaurants are called Spitfire and Hurricane...

Which hospital was this at and what is the link?

By Morten
2 minutes? The forum must be losing its touch. :lol:

The link is indeed Sir Archibald McIndoe, but for failing to list one hospital and suggesting 2, you will not get the chocolate frog. Report after class for a caning ;^)
Dave W wrote:I hadn't heard that phrase before, so I Googled it.

How marvellous. :D

Nor had I. I am humbled. I had of course heard of the Guinea Pig Club, but not of the role of East Grinstead.

(As an aside, a very good childhood friend of mine had a lot of work done at Roehampton on a lost leg and the many prostheses that were made to make him mobile through to adulthood).
Dave W liked this
Rob L wrote:

Nor had I. I am humbled. I had of course heard of the Guinea Pig Club, but not of the role of East Grinstead.

(As an aside, a very good childhood friend of mine had a lot of work done at Roehampton on a lost leg and the many prostheses that were made to make him mobile through to adulthood).

Did Bader and his cronies really drive all the way to Pantiles at Bagshot (now old peoples flats just across the road from where Eddie and Sophie live) or was it a different Pantiles?
Closure of the Bagshot one, latterly a night club; resulted in at least one excellent local restaurant closing too due to the reduction in trade.
By PeteSpencer
Dave W wrote:Either Roehampton or East Grinstead?

Guess : The link is Sir Archibald McIndoe and the "Guinea Pigs"

He certainly left a fine legacy:

I used 'McIndoe scissors 'and 'McIndoe forceps' nearly every day for 30+ years in the day job.

Still got a drawer full at home: Dead handy for all those fiddly jobs.....

Peter :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanga, Rob L liked this
By Lefty
chevvron wrote:
Rob L wrote:

Did Bader and his cronies really drive all the way to Pantiles at Bagshot (now old peoples flats just across the road from where Eddie and Sophie live) or was it a different Pantiles?
Closure of the Bagshot one, latterly a night club; resulted in at least one excellent local restaurant closing too due to the reduction in trade.

I don’t think so. There was a Pantiles night club on the thames at Maidenhead Bridge, which would have closer.