Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
ORS4 No.1354

Outbreak: Extension of Validity Periods for Licences, Ratings and Certificates of Aircrew, Instructors, Examiners, Aircraft Maintenance Licence Holders and Air Traffic Controllers

In response to the exceptional circumstances caused by the Covid-19 outbreak and in line with the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) guidance, the Civil Aviation Authority (‘the CAA’), exempts all operators, aircrew, instructors, examiners, aircraft maintenance licence holders and air traffic controllers for whom the CAA is the Competent Authority, and wherever normal revalidation facilities are not available from the normal validity periods for licences, certificates and ratings that expire before the 31st October 2020 subject to the conditions in the exemption.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... il&id=9513
AlanM liked this
Very good!

It's not just Medicals or pro pilots, which could be construed from the thread title, so - I hope you don't mind, @PaulB - I've amended that a little.

The full title is:
ORS4 No.1354: Covid-19 Outbreak: Extension of Validity Periods for Licences, Ratings and Certificates of Aircrew, Instructors, Examiners, Aircraft Maintenance Licence Holders and Air Traffic Controllers

The exemptions are:
ORS4 No.1354 wrote:2.2 The conditions mentioned in 2.1 are that:
(a) Part-FCL licence holders shall comply with the following:
(i) hold a valid class or type rating and instrument rating if applicable;
(ii) operate under the management system of an organisation for which Part-ORO is
applicable; and
(iii) have received refresher training, followed by the completion of an assessment by
means established by the operator to determine that the required level of
knowledge to operate the applicable class or type has been maintained. That
assessment shall include class or type specific abnormal and emergency
procedures.
(b) Upon successful completion of the refresher training and the assessment as per (a)(iii), the
licence shall be endorsed with the new expiry date preferably by a type rating examiner
(TRE) nominated by the operator, or exceptionally the CAA. (See Note 4)
(c) Part-FCL instructor and examiner certificate holders shall hold a valid instructor and, if
applicable, a valid examiner certificate. An appropriately qualified TRE or Senior Examiner,
nominated by the operator, or exceptionally the CAA, shall endorse the certificate with the
new expiry date. (See Note 4)
(d) Part-MED Class 1 medical certificate holders who are under additional medical
surveillance (e.g. by their AME or the CAA) should continue to comply with the specified
requirements (e.g. provision of reports) imposed by their AME or the CAA. Failure to do so
may invalidate their medical certificate and/or the applicability of this exemption to them. If
difficulties arise the certificate holder should contact their AME who may need to be advised
by the CAA. (See Note 4)
(e) Part-MED cabin crew medical report holders who are under additional medical
surveillance (e.g. by their AME or the CAA) should continue to comply with the specified
requirements (e.g. provision of reports) imposed by their AME or the CAA. Failure to do so
may invalidate their medical certificate and/or the applicability of this exemption to them. If
difficulties arise the certificate holder should contact their AME who may need to be advised
by the CAA. (See Note 4)

There are other elements e.g. for ATCOs in the link too.

Note 4 is:
ORS4 No.1354 wrote:4. Recording of extension of privileges:
(a) Licence holders: Recording the extension of the validity period of the rating privileges for
licence holders is to be inserted on the Certificate of Revalidation page of the licence, the
Rating Certificate Endorsement to show the relevant endorsement as would normally be
entered. At the Date of Rating Test and/or Date of IR Test as applicable, enter ‘CAA
ORS4 No. 1354’, at ‘Valid’ enter the new expiry date as permitted by this exemption, the
Examiner’s Certificate Number and Examiner’s Certificate and signed entries will be
completed as normal.
(b) Examiner certificate holders: Recording the extension of the validity period of privileges
for examiner certificate holders, the authorised person is to enter on the Examiner’s
Certificate ‘Extended to DD/MM/YYYY as permitted by CAA ORS4 No. 1354’ stating their
Examiner’s Certificate Number and signed.
(c) Operators: Organisations using this exemption for their licence holders are to provide a
spreadsheet monthly to the CAA via Covid-19_licensingexemptions@caa.co.uk detailing
the revalidations.
(d) To demonstrate compliance with Part MED aircrew and ATCOs should carry their
(expired) medical certificate and a copy of the exemption notice as part of their licence
PaulB liked this
Ooh, hang on - I might have jumped the gun too... :(
ORS4 No.1354 wrote:2.1 Subject to the conditions in 2.2, aircrew are exempted from the standard validity periods of the following ratings or certificates, that expire before 31 October 2020, which may be extended until the end of the validity period of this Exemption:
(a) class ratings, type ratings and instrument ratings endorsed in Part-FCL commercial pilot licences (CPL, MPL, ATPL) for operating aeroplanes and helicopters representing those classes and types within an organisation for which Annex III (Part-ORO) to Commission Regulation (EU) No 965/2012 is applicable;

There appears to be a key inconsistency there with the opening paragraph, which explicitly says:
ORS4 No.1354 wrote:1. In response to the exceptional circumstances caused by the Covid-19 outbreak and in line with the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) guidance, the Civil Aviation Authority (‘the CAA’), on behalf of the United Kingdom and pursuant to article 71(1) of Regulation (EU) No. 2018/1139, exempts all operators, aircrew, instructors, examiners, aircraft maintenance licence holders and air traffic controllers for whom the CAA is the Competent Authority, wherever normal revalidation facilities are not available, from the requirements detailed in paragraphs 2 to 5, as appropriate, subject to any conditions therein.
As GA is to have a few quiet nights in, I don't think I'm too concerned at the mo.

Once this awfulness is over, we'll get back to normal and there will be accommodations for people adversely affected. I'm sure.

For the moment - Be Kind - Stay in - Stay Safe. :thumleft:
Dave W, AlanM, WelshRichy and 5 others liked this
I think the inconsistency gives you a clue that "all operators, aircrew...etc" in CAA-speak by default means all commercial operators, aircrew...etc.

If they say pilots, they mean commercial pilots.

If they say operators, they mean commercial operators.

If they say aircraft, they mean airliners.

Like it or not, I think we private flyers occupy about 0.000001% of their collective brain space, and that little bit is mainly as a nuisance.
In Ian's webcast with Martin Robinson of AOPA, Martin makes the point that GA is not forgotten in all this by the CAA but that we should expect guidance for us to come AFTER it has been provided to the majority of people who make their living from aviation.

That seems fair enough to me.
kanga, exfirepro, Stampe and 2 others liked this
Dave W wrote:In Ian's webcast with Martin Robinson of AOPA, Martin makes the point that GA is not forgotten in all this by the CAA but that we should expect guidance for us to come AFTER it has been provided to the majority of people who make their living from aviation.
Well, so far, only SOME of those who make their living from aviation. As others have pointed out, the ORS 1354 document says nothing at all about extensions of medicals and ratings for pilots not working for an AOC holder - e.g. instructors. Let's hope it's coming soon. My medical's up on 3rd May.
NS