Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
From the CAA:
Cessation of the ability for non-EASA pilot licences to operate an aircraft with an EASA CofA from 8 April

UK national private pilot licence holders* are not able to fly an aeroplane with an EASA certificate of airworthiness from 8 April 2020 due to a European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) derogation expiring on 7 April and not being renewed. The change does not affect balloons or sailplanes including powered sailplanes.

This change arises as a result of the derogation contained in Article 2a of Regulation (EU) 1178/2011 (the EASA Aircrew Regulation) ending on 7 April 2020.

*This refers to both NPPL holders and holders of old-style UK PPLs.
Aircraft on EASA Permits to Fly are not covered in Annex 1 of the Basic Regulation.

Typical aircraft such as the Bolkow Junior are listed in G-INFO as CS-23A EASA aircraft - hence as far as I can see, from 8 April to fly them will require a Part-FCL pilot licence.

EDIT: The CAA have confirmed that the 8 Apr 2020 restriction does indeed apply both to EASA CofA aircraft and EASA PtoF aircraft.
Last edited by nickwilcock on Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is also being discussed in the LAA forums. Chris Thompson has recently taken over as the head of the National coaching scheme. He contacted the CAA to find out what was going on as one of his students had recently qualified for his NPPL but now won’t be able to fly his father’s PA28.

He then published the following post with a quote from his conversation with the CAA. He urges as many pilots as possible to also ask the same question by email.

I find it remarkable that the CAA are not aware of the anger this issue is causing. But it is not solely a CAA issue, they are merely the messenger, so in addition to complaining by email to the CAA I shall be copying to my MP, to the chair of the all party group for GA and to the GA minister.

I ask as many of us here as posiible to do similar, even if you are not caught up in the problem, please register a complaint as it might be UK (EASA) PPL holders that are victims of the next decision of EASA while we have no voice at the table.

From the LAA Hangar Chat Forum
User: Chris Thompson

Re: National Licensing and Medical Exemptions expire on Wednesday 8 April 2020

I just had a long conversation with the CAA FCL regarding this problem.

To repeat:

UK citizen
UK national licence
UK "G" registration aircraft with a UK CAA Certificate of Airworthiness
Flying in the UK

To CAA CFL after informing them that I speaking as the LAA National Coach

Q. What is illegal about the above?
A. It is a matter of "Policy" and I would have to discuss with the "Policy" people. I quote, "Nobody else has phoned about this, you can only object to "Policy" by emailing customerservices at caa dot co dot uk (sorry. cannot use proper email address here, customerservices is all one word)!

I am now doing exactly that and it would be a good idea if a few hundred pilots in this situation did the same!

The expiry of UK licence vs. EASA aircraft is at the same level as if I was a:

UK citizen
UK driving licence
Driving in the UK
BUT - not allowed to drive a VW because it was made in Europe under EU regulations!

I bet that would cause an outcry!

Chris
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
nickwilcock wrote:Why didn't he do a LAPL course rather than an NPPL course anyway?

Possibly because of learning on microlights and then upgrading to SSEA?

Absolutely correct Paul. Here is the previous post where Chris gave the full background

Having a student who just completed his NPPL(M) to NPPL(SSEA) a couple of weeks ago it is a big hit to find out that he will not now be able to fly the PA28 owned by his father that he converted on. His NPPL(SSEA) licence is in the process of being issued by the Ivory Tower. He would have no problem getting an EASA medical to replace his SDM, so the big issue is not having access to Permit or Annex 2 aircraft so he is now completely stuffed by the new ruling.

As mentioned by someone somewhere before, We are British, we fly British registered aircraft, in Britain, what is illegal about that? I have already sent a complaint in to the CAA, perhaps we should all do the same!

Chris Thompson
LAA National Coach

Here is the link to the forum if you want to read the full story.

And for the pedants... I presume by “SDM” Chris means Self Declared Medical which really means Pilot Medical Declaration (PMD) and Annex 2 aircraft are now Annex I...
Thank you for the elucidation, Paul.

I find it remarkable that the CAA are not aware of the anger this issue is causing. But it is not solely a CAA issue, they are merely the messenger, so in addition to complaining by email to the CAA I shall be copying to my MP, to the chair of the all party group for GA and to the GA minister.

I ask as many of us here as possible to do similar, even if you are not caught up in the problem, please register a complaint as it might be UK (EASA) PPL holders that are victims of the next decision of EASA while we have no voice at the table.

I would recommend that you do NOT follow the request in that quote as the CAA is acutely aware of the 8th Apr problems that face national licence holders and pilots who currently do not hold medical certificates but rely on PMDs.

The CAA's priority is to address those of a critical and urgent nature impacting the National interest. GA is a little lower in the pecking order than we would like, but we need to be realistic.

Having spoken at length to the relevant people at the CAA today, my firm recommendation is to let them get on with their work and NOT to pester them with ill-informed e-mails.
Dodo, kanga liked this