Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There was me briefly thinking there was a space for GA to take up transport where larger airlines have been unable.

But given the lock downs and effectively closed borders in many parts of Europe, the chance of non-essential non-commercial longer distance flights will be suspended or frowned upon.

I suspect GA would mostly be confined to medical, scientific, S&R, and news reporting applications in the short term now, with some flying school students trying toi make best use of their pre-paid course fees/packages where possible.
By JonathanB
There's certainly been a noticeable shift to/increase in bizjet traffic over the past week. No doubt that will reduce again from now onwards though.
By Jonzarno
CAT4R4TTA wrote:
Rob P wrote:Flyguy FB posted a series of fascinating animations showing the rate of spread of the disease under various different lock down schemes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/

Rob P

And this shows why the UK strategy is totally wrong.

Boris will pass to history as a mass murderer

I’m certainly no fan of BJ but I find it hard to see what makes him “a mass murderer”.

This is a constantly developing problem, and what makes sense today may well be overtaken by events tomorrow.

If you don’t agree with what the government is doing to combat the pandemic, and you obviously have better information / knowledge than BJ’s advisers, can you tell us what should be done instead?
PeteSpencer liked this
That simulator shows a very simplified set of transmission criteria for circles largely in brownian (random) motion in a single space.
The way humans are spread and interact is not like that.
It's sod all use for setting rules for limiting pandemic spread, but mildly entertaining and marginally informative.
ls8pilot liked this
By stevelup
It doesn't claim to be anything other than that, and in fact points out it's own deficiencies multiple times throughout the page.

So really this would only be a problem for people who watch the pretty animations (they are very cool) but doesn't read any of the text...
By marioair
Jonzarno wrote:
CAT4R4TTA wrote:
Rob P wrote:Flyguy FB posted a series of fascinating animations showing the rate of spread of the disease under various different lock down schemes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/

Rob P

And this shows why the UK strategy is totally wrong.

Boris will pass to history as a mass murderer

I’m certainly no fan of BJ but I find it hard to see what makes him “a mass murderer”.

This is a constantly developing problem, and what makes sense today may well be overtaken by events tomorrow.

If you don’t agree with what the government is doing to combat the pandemic, and you obviously have better information / knowledge than BJ’s advisers, can you tell us what should be done instead?

For me the issue is not around BoJo but UK versus Europe. BoJo keeps saying it's all science led. But then that means our scientists seem to have come with a completely different conclusion to the rest of the EU! Are we really that sure of ourselves on such as big decision. What changed our mind in last 24hours. I don't buy the "we were two weeks behind" line.

on an aviation related note are we saying Italy, France and Spain have shut airspace now to GA?
By PaulB
Last edited by PaulB on Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.