Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Maybe this is a question to those of you that have done a change of SOLI to somewhere out of the UK:
When it comes to ratings revalidation or medical renewal, I take it you don't have to travel to the country in question to deal with that?

I think my own situation fits this description, (I didn't do a change of SOLI -I have a CZ issued EASA PPL and Class II medical and recently moved back to the UK). My SEP rating expires in August, and my medical expires in December. Can I just find an EASA FI for a checkride and signoff and an EASA ME for a checkup, and that's that?

I have been through several pages of threads and couldn't find an answer.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The UK allows:
- a non UK Easa instructor to be the one(s) involved with actually flying the training hour with you as part of the 12 hours for SEP revalidation by experience
- a non UK Easa examiner to fly a proficiency check for revalidation or renewal of either SEP or MEP revalidation or renewal
However:
The UK does NOT allow a non UK examiner or non UK fcl.945 instructor to sign the UK Easa licence for revalidation by experience for SEP. (But I suspect it happens for pilots living abroad with uk licences as it is totally illogical to say that it cannot be done).
The "allowed" points are common across EASA States if revalidations or renewals are done by prof check (test) you have no problem with any easa examiner.
However I do not know if the "not allowed" point is common across Easa States, or confined to some/one State(s), so you may have to ask the Czech CAA. You can certainly use the MEP prof check to mean you do not need a training hour in the 12 hour SEP revalidation total, but who can sign the licence for SEP revalidation by experience needs the Czech CAA to tell you.
By skydriller
I think Irv has pretty much answered this. Basicly there are supposed to be common rules but different states have their own interpretations of the rules and at the end of the day you need to ask the Aviation authority of your state of licence issue what they will accept and what needs to be sent to them as proof and/or payment for whatever you need renewed and records updated etc.

Regards, SD..
Irv I wonder if I could drive 250 miles with my logbook, licence and ratings page and ask you to sign it.

As it would be quite apparent that no body has a clue what they can and can't sign.

My local FIE won't sign my ratings page as i'm not in the last 3 monts of my 2 years of validity .

The time brefore that a CAA industry examiner wouldn't sign my SEP rating based on my TMG hours and I've also had to shop around to get my SEP rating signed on the basis of my TMG hours.

I must be the only person that thinks this whole revalidation and renewal system just doesn’t work.
Bathman wrote:...........................

My local FIE won't sign my ratings page as i'm not in the last 3 monts of my 2 years of validity .

The time brefore that a CAA industry examiner wouldn't sign my SEP rating based on my TMG hours and I've also had to shop around to get my SEP rating signed on the basis of my TMG hours.

I must be the only person that thinks this whole revalidation and renewal system just doesn’t work.

Perhaps, but ....
To my mind, the system is good: it is examiners who fail to read their own material that can be less than perfect.

Invite your local FIE to read table 4C on page 34 of the CAA Flight Examiner Handbook (2016)

Invite the CAA industry examiner to read page A11.

This handbook is not perfect, but is freely available for anyone to download.
Bathman liked this
By Irv Lee
@Bathman if you can wait til mid March I can do the mileage for you- I have a PPL Masterclass in Sherburn Sat 14th March (open to non members, filling fast, prior booking needed)
@allout the 12 hours in one year out of two is purely a committee pretending they understand hobby flying patterns when they clearly did not.
Kemble Pitts, flybymike liked this
JulietTango wrote:.. in CZ .. their CAA. They (the CAA there) don't speak English at all (ironically) ...

.. nor, presumably, is there any reason why anyone there should. The first two official languages of ICAO (with equal status) were English and French; later, Russian, Spanish, Arabic and Mandarin were added, also with equal status. English has special privileges only, AIUI, in the context of air-ground VHF voice on aeronautical frequencies published for use by international flights. It is a legacy of the Cold War era that in former Warsaw Pact countries older officials may be more likely to know French than English (and Russian than either); however, I gather things have been changing over the years since the collapse of the Pact, with English more widely known by officials.
By CAT4R4TTA
I have an italian license and this is what happens to me, living in the UK.

I can renew the SEP using 12 hours from everywhere in the world (I mostly fly N-reg)
I can do the check with an UK instructor
I must go to italy (or send someone on my behalf) to have the SEP written on my license
I cannot have other than an IT medical for flying, so I must be there to renew it whe it happens

This is how it works for me
kanga wrote:
JulietTango wrote:.. in CZ .. their CAA. They (the CAA there) don't speak English at all (ironically) ...

.. nor, presumably, is there any reason why anyone there should.

I wasn't saying they should. I just meant that it would be better for everyone involved if there was someone there that could help when necessary, because of the thousands of foreign (but English speaking) students that go through there every year for their PPLs CPLs and ATPLs that struggle when attending the offices for exams, logbook checks, etc etc. I have been through that and witnessed many frustrating incidents in the foyer that could have been easily avoided. It's really in their interest as much as anyone else's.

Regarding take up of languages in the Czech Republic, there is a definite 'era' related divide according to what language you are likely to encounter. In the last 30 years or so, English was the foreign language of choice, prior to that it was German, and before that, Russian. Those are the three most widely understood that you will encounter 'on the streets'. In fact even in small villages you will hardly find anyone under 30 that cannot speak at least a little English. The vast majority are quite fluent, in my experience.
kanga liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
CAT4R4TTA wrote:I cannot have other than an IT medical for flying, so I must be there to renew it whe it happens

You must have an IT EASA Medical - indeed
You don't need to go to IT for that Medical.

Any EASA AME can do your IT EASA Medical.

It just needs to be stated on the application form that Italy is your SOLI and the AME needs to ensure the paperwork ends up with the Italian NAA (CAA equivalent)
JulietTango, kanga, PaulB liked this
By CAT4R4TTA
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Any EASA AME can do your IT EASA Medical.

It just needs to be stated on the application form that Italy is your SOLI and the AME needs to ensure the paperwork ends up with the Italian NAA (CAA equivalent)

That's the theory. Good luck with ENAC then :)