Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi,

I have an:

NPPL(A) with SLMG rating
EASA PPL(A) with both TMG and SEP ratings

In order to revalidate by experience, I can keep both my TMG and SEP ratings on my PPL(A) simply by flying only one or the other or a combination of both (I have done the required PIC hours in SEP) PLUS I have done an hours P/UT (Bi-Ennial) in a TMG in the last 12 months.

However, in order to revalidate by experience my NPPL(A), as I only have the SLMG rating on the licence at present I can't cross credit any SEP hours. As stated above I do have 1 hour P/UT in a motor glider.

Is there any point in my paying the £103 fee to add the SSEA rating to my NPPL (which I believe can be done off the back of my PPL SEP rating) in order to keep the NPPL SLMG rating?

The reason I ask is that I now understand that a PPL(A) with LAPL medical can utilise LAPL privileges (aside from revalidation by experience requirements which remain that aligned with the PPL). It is also possible to medical self declare and fly non-EASA types on a PPL(A) and at present even EASA types too until April 2020.

Is there any advantage of keeping my NPPL ratings current?

Thanks
In a world of regulatory 'shifting sands' my policy is to acquire and maintain as many different licences as I can.

I don't know why, which is exactly why I do it.

In-out, shake it all about, PMD/no PMD, can/can't fly N-reg, can/can't fly EASA, can/can't fly microlight, SLMG is/isn't a TMG, can/can't fly on Tuesdays, need to wear purple eye-liner 'cos your aeroplane is green AND you're heading due west...

With all of the detailed interpretative nonsense applied in the dark corners of flying regulations you have a better chance of finding yourself flying 'legally' the more licence combinations you have.

So there (for what its worth)!
flybymike, Paul_Sengupta, kanga and 1 others liked this
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I agree with @Kemble Pitts generally about this, in that it is (has been) a great idea to keep as many balls in the air as you can, but I think you know you have a slightly unusual dilemma here which others may not understand - being from Yorkshire, can I put it in money terms?:
IF you spend about a £100 on an SSEA rating, do you have enough time to get SSEA/SLMG revalidated post SSEA issue? (it looks like you have the hours, but if the SLMG expires this month, you might not get the SSEA in time) Definite cost: about £100 (assuming you have time left).
If you don't do that (either because you decided not to, or there isn't enough time), I cannot see any point in doing an NPPL SLMG prof check now simply to keep the NPPL SLMG, as you would pay for it now and may be in the same dilemma in two years time - and maybe never need it. So if you didn't get an SSEA now, or you didn't have time, max future cost is one NPPL-SLMG prof check plus the (approx) £100 to add SSEA (as you would only bother to get the SLMG back if you did need it), min future cost zero (if it turns out you don't need it).
Thanks for the replies chaps. SLMG Rating expires end of April so time not an issue.

If I let the NPPL SLMG rating lapse and decide in the future to re-enable it... would I actually need a proficiency check or could I revalidate it from my TMG rating on my PPL (which will remain valid) by paying a fee to the LAA/CAA?

I know having a valid SEP rating on a PPL can be 100% cross credited for SSEA rating on NPPL.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@kevkdgI'm pretty sure you would have to have a prof check. Different licence, different ratings, one expired.
(You get an SSEA new issue from SEP by means of an agreed NPPL process. You get revalidations by regulated hours (which are actually different for SSEA vs SEP even though you probably meet both right now if you had what you want already)
Thanks again.

I think the TMG rating on my PPL will suffice. I know the SLMG as a national rating might include some other types that aren't classed as TMG's, but can't think what as the NPPL website states self launching sailplanes are excluded. Maybe self sustaining sailplanes are included?

From a future proof medical point of view, I think the flexibility to operate on a PPL with different medicals and associated reduced privileges is also sufficient.