Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Shoestring Flyer
All these Rotax thefts and therefore lots of insurance claims will no doubt ultimately be reflected in higher insurance premiums for all aircraft not just Rotax engined aircraft. :cry:
By PaulB
Kittyhawk wrote:
CloudHound wrote:Do we have a rough idea of how motors have been stolen over the past few years?

49 since 2009

... and what is that as a proportion of the number of units in use? ... and is there an upwards trend?
By Sooty25
PaulB wrote:
Kittyhawk wrote:
CloudHound wrote:Do we have a rough idea of how motors have been stolen over the past few years?

49 since 2009

... and what is that as a proportion of the number of units in use? ... and is there an upwards trend?

Compared to all the other brands its an upward trend!
By Shoestring Flyer
49 as a number is only the ones reported on the Rotax website which is about two years out of date.
Also won't include the stolen ones that haven't been reported to Rotax either. I rather suspect the number of stolen Rotax engines is probably double that.
By PaulB
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:49 out of how many rotax powered aircraft in the country?
Adding to the speculation, it sounds like a small percentage.

I asked that earlier.... no reply yet.

That’s not to say it isn’t significant.
By Sooty25
49 x min bare, base price of around £15k, puts the value of the engines alone at nearly £750k. Start adding in any certified or injected versions and props, along with all the damage and this is well beyond £1M .

What value is "serious"?

It is clearly "organised"!
By Waveflyer
All from google.

Organised crime includes crimes such as drug trafficking, migrant smuggling, human trafficking, money laundering, firearms trafficking, illegal gambling, extortion, counterfeit goods, wildlife and cultural property smuggling, and cyber crime are keystones within TOC enterprises. (Transnational organised crime).

To put things in perspective, over 100,000 cars are stolen annually

In the context of OC annual revenue in the U.K. of £37 billion Rotax wouldn’t even register a blip.
By CloudHound
But the loss is disproportionate to the size of the community being robbed.

I'm just wondering if our Police Constabularies might be working on the few thefts in their area, so not getting the big picture a centralised unit would get.

D'oh! Why didn't I think :roll:

"Is that the Air Police? Detective James Bigglesworth, please!"
By PaulB
Waveflyer wrote:To put things in perspective, over 100,000 cars are stolen annually

and >100,000 burglaries *per month*