Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By irishc180
Can work both ways, owners wanting to hear a low number or engineering outfit going in dry. My 2 favourites to date...

1) Dust from the camshaft is on the pistons and it's not making decent compressions..

2) It needs a new piston ring..

Not heard some good ones from repaints, but go ahead and entertain. What have they actually found?? 10k is probably 100hrs shop time plus 2k on skins/rivets etc. I've prob got all PA32 flight controls if you need em. :D
By Waveflyer
gfry wrote:......... I did expect there to be a few surprises.......

gfry wrote:It's a 1968 Cherokee 6.

With regards to the spray shop, I have used them in the past.

Surely, the relationship between the original quote and the cost of the surprises is irrelevant.

An independent examination is the correct resolution but only if you are prepared to accept the examiners conclusion.

With the previous experience you had and the estimate you were given you were willing to go ahead. Surely you weren’t blinkered owning a 52 year old aircraft?

Such a pity that sometimes reality bites hard but perhaps you will end up with a really nice aeroplane.

Don’t shoot the messenger :D
Bobcro liked this
By gfry
irishc180 wrote:Can work both ways, owners wanting to hear a low number or engineering outfit going in dry. My 2 favourites to date...

1) Dust from the camshaft is on the pistons and it's not making decent compressions..

2) It needs a new piston ring..

Not heard some good ones from repaints, but go ahead and entertain. What have they actually found?? 10k is probably 100hrs shop time plus 2k on skins/rivets etc. I've prob got all PA32 flight controls if you need em. :D

ok.....

The stripping uncovered a number of significant dents on the leading wing edge which had been filled. The aluminium underneath was fine, but the time taken to take off the old filler, treat and put in the new filler is also time consuming.
This work will cost an additional £5k including VAT.

The lifting of the skin on the roof and on the underside to deal with corrosion will cost about £1,700 including VAT (they have to dismantle some of the interior trim and it takes two to work and position everything)

The plates on the wing and the wing root service including the insertion of an inspection panel and packing between the metal bracket and wing spar will be £2,000

New bearings for the flaps and fitted, and additional masking will be £1,300
By gfry
Yes it is going to cost a lot more. But as some of you have mentioned it will be a nice aeroplane when finished.

It had a new interior about 3 years ago.
A new carpet last year.
A brand new engine last year (straight from the factory not a re-core).
A new prop last year.
An avionic overhaul last year (GNS 530 WAAS, GNC 255, GTX330)
By Sooty25
gfry wrote:
ok.....

The stripping uncovered a number of significant dents on the leading wing edge which had been filled. The aluminium underneath was fine, but the time taken to take off the old filler, treat and put in the new filler is also time consuming.
This work will cost an additional £5k including VAT.

Why strip out an existing repair? Clearly not causing an issue if it wasn't noted in the quote.
By ThePipster
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:
Why strip out an existing repair? Clearly not causing an issue if it wasn't noted in the quote.

If chemical paint stripper has been used then the old filler becomes contaminated, there is then a big risk that it will spoil the new paint when applied.

Pipster
Sooty25 liked this
By cockney steve
IIRC, the chemical of choice is Methylene Chloride (also dissolves Perspex to bond joints/cracks.)

It evaporates entirely.

The 5k would be better-spent planishing out the dents.....but there's probably a good reason (including the absence of skilled labour) why this isn't viable.
Nick liked this
By Sooty25
cockney steve wrote:The 5k would be better-spent planishing out the dents.....but there's probably a good reason (including the absence of skilled labour) why this isn't viable.

It would make much more sense weight wise! I see no logic in dragging 10kg's of P38 skywards!
Nick liked this
By flyingeeza
gfry wrote:Not sure if I am being taken for a ride or not. The aircraft is in bits and back to bare metal, I have already paid £5k up front of the quote, I am not exactly faced with many options at this point.

I am all ears at this point.

PM inbound...
By tomshep
Methylene Chloride, like all useful chemical compounds doesn't come in a hi-vis tin and is therefore outlawed these days which is why your Nitromors doesn't work like it used to.
Even so, five grand to get the filler out and then replace it seems ridiculous.
By cockney steve
^^^^^^ %litres £25.......25 litres £100....delivered ,in both cases.

Ebay is your friend, I'm sure that a bit of googling will come up with a cheaper industrial chemicals distributor. (it's also called Dichloromethane. :wink:
By Rob L
Methylene Chloride is not nice stuff, but it does a good job.

It's a clear liquid with a specific gravity >1, and will evaporate instantly! So to use it, it needs to be either in a sealed container or one with a "water seal" floating on top. (the water prevents the Methylene Chloride from evaporating)

When I was paint stripping my Taylorcraft ribs several years ago, I had made a 8' long stainless steel tank, but only about 8" high by 8" wide. In went the Methylene Chloride, an inch of water on top, and then several ribs at a time.

It only took a few hours for all the paint to be stripped. This is the same chemical that was used (in the good old days) to strip your household doors by dipping them.