Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have been bitten by the bug after a flight experience last summer! I bet you can't guess what I was in...
Yep, a 70 y.o Harvard . I got to do a couple of aileron turns and happily pointed the nose up a bit when told to apply some backpressure. I was then flown through a loop and another with a roll off the top and I was hooked.

My pilot was brilliant at explaining the instruments, the controls, use of trim and some situational awareness.

I have started studying and have just booked an hour's instruction.

This is purely as a hobby. No doubt I will have questions☺
Rob P liked this
By GunnyD3v
@T6Harvard Welcome!

Sounds like you had a great experience to get you hooked, good luck on your roller-coaster journey in getting your licence. I'm eagerly waiting in getting back into it after a 7yr break, currently being thwarted by the weather.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Hey Wicksay!

I am in Cheshire. I am thinking of Tatenhill, in Staffs. Barton is too busy!

I have actually booked a lesson abroad in a C172, just because that's where I will be for a few weeks. I won't count the hours in my log book but I will get to do some sight seeing while my instructor flies the approach 8) . He is a bona fide FI but it's outside the EU.
By Iceman
A T6 Harvard to start; you are spoiling yourself :D. I had some amazing aerobatic flying in one in Florida, and also in the UK.

Are there no training schools at Hawarden or Sleap ?

Iceman 8)
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Iceman, Flinshire flying school, based at Harwarden, has ceased to be, I believe. Sleap looks good but is probably further away from me than I'd like to travel regularly. I may take a gander though, check out the driving time and see if it's do-able.

Thanks, Mat, I am on Facebook so I'll do that. It has to be said that most of my FB timeline is from last year when I followed the Silver Spitfire around the world :)
By GunnyD3v
@T6Harvard Tatenhill is where I’m learning, great and friendly instructors and staff .

As Matt has mentioned, Martin regularly post insights and news on the Facebook page. Take a look, there is also a new 3 storey building being built, for the offices, cafe etc.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
I did it! Had a fab lesson with a very laid back FI. It was a C172 so my hubby could come along in the back. A classroom introduction to instruments and control surfaces etc then a walkround, pre flight checklist done and we were belted up and ready for ATC clearance.

You know the drill, FI gets me to safe altitude and we check for other aircraft (I heard ATC advising an approaching commercial jet about us), then I have control.

So level I could do; straight, not so much ☺. Took me a while to stop over correcting.

I was pleased that some of the backgound reading I had done meant I recognised we were slipping in the turn. And I corrected it!

I know I looked at instruments too much, to keep an eye on turn rate, balance and atitude. I bet everyone does that, right?

My FI sat with his arms folded for about 20 mins and let me do plenty of turns and change heading, then he reduced power, selected 10° flaps, got ATC clearance, called final and let me line her up before, obviously, taking over for the 3 mile run in.

So I had a blast.

Of course I want to improve because I am not kidding myself that I have any natural talent!
WelshRichy, JAFO, GunnyD3v and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
T6Harvard wrote:
I have actually booked a lesson abroad in a C172, just because that's where I will be for a few weeks. I won't count the hours in my log book but I will get to do some sight seeing while my instructor flies the approach 8) . He is a bona fide FI but it's outside the EU.

Don't forget it is your logbook, not the CAA's, not the flying school's

There is no reason you cannot record the flight in your logbook, noting the times and putting a brief description. If, for whatever reason, the time doesn't count towards your hours, then you can simply leave the time columns on the RH page blank. This way you can have a record of all your flying. Some people use this to record flying with pilot friends in the RH seat, some even airline flights.

Rob P
By T6Harvard
Thanks Rob. I have completed my logbook for my flight experience last year and asked my FI to complete yesterday's. He filled in details of the lesson and stamped it, all official like :D . I know the hours won't count, and, as you say, I'll just not include in the total. I do want the logbook to be my record of time in the air. The FI was interested in my Harvard experience so it made a nice talking point.

What I am intrigued about is that I am a fairly nervous person IRL but not in the least bit when it comes to flying in light aircraft. Perhaps I am chanelling my dear late grandad - he was a test pilot in WWII (too old for active service). He kept current until the late 50's. He flew my mum but he stopped before I was born, due to the expense of the hobby.....He would have loved to see me fly.
Charles Hunt liked this