Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Wouldn't it be good if the image could zoom in and out (not the right words, but hopefully you know what I mean) as you ascend and descend?
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:Or possibly @Crash one is not so nuts and the development is merely a natural progression whereby one can fly over a true representation of the picture below, rather than the poor representation of charts. Maybe with an open mind and a bit of getting used to we would all wonder why anyone would choose not to have an actual photograph of what we are flying and navigating over?

Its quite interesting how various threads all seem to come together. I was asking about "fly through" elsewhere on here, and there was a thread about flying through the mountains too. Well, I think that using google earth with relief and having the route and airspace is a good way to plan ahead for a such a flight. @Crash one has taken that a step further and has google earth maps on the device he's using for navigation. It does actually make sense for VFR flight.

Regards, SD..
skydriller wrote:I was asking about "fly through" elsewhere on here, and there was a thread about flying through the mountains too. Well, I think that using google earth with relief and having the route and airspace is a good way to plan ahead for a such a flight.

How did you get on with that? I got it to work on a previously flown route with the gpx file then tried the kml. The kml just jumped between the pinned timed points at 5, 10, 15 etc. When I went back to the gpx it wouldn't work.

skydriller wrote:@Crash one has taken that a step further and has google earth maps on the device he's using for navigation. It does actually make sense for VFR flight.

I wonder if the criticism of @Crash one is founded in the oh too frequent resistance to change without actually thinking through the reality? :wink:
skydriller wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:Or possibly @Crash one is not so nuts and the development is merely a natural progression whereby one can fly over a true representation of the picture below, rather than the poor representation of charts. Maybe with an open mind and a bit of getting used to we would all wonder why anyone would choose not to have an actual photograph of what we are flying and navigating over?

Its quite interesting how various threads all seem to come together. I was asking about "fly through" elsewhere on here, and there was a thread about flying through the mountains too. Well, I think that using google earth with relief and having the route and airspace is a good way to plan ahead for a such a flight. @Crash one has taken that a step further and has google earth maps on the device he's using for navigation. It does actually make sense for VFR flight.

Regards, SD..

Thank the ‘kin lord for that! Someone has see daylight.
I don’t know how Runway HD does it but as for “internet connections” data connections ” etc. Rubbish!
It works.
All it needs is a bit of software that can generate a synthetic view ahead based on GPS altitude, position, and track direction.
Then we have the computer screens that consist of roll up plastic sheet!
Windscreens and doors wrapped with screens, who needs an F35 system?
With enough satellites the Google map could be a “real-time” thing.
Filter out the clouds and weather, fly in broad daylight through a blizzard!
You’ve no idea what goes on in my brain. 30 years ago I thought, why can’t we put maps/charts on Microfiche that the pilot could roll up down and sideways.
Crash one wrote:I don’t know how Runway HD does it but as for “internet connections” data connections ” etc. Rubbish!

Is it not a simple case of having the relevant map downloaded to the device, as I do for off line nav in the streets of a city? :?
For the avoidance of doubt.
Runway HD uses any of the CAA charts that you wish to purchase, plus the Ordnance Survey landranger maps or what ever.
Google maps are included free.
Airspace is overlaid in a basic fashion on any maps as required or not.
It is not quite so riveted into aviation only, such that you can use it as an orienteering tool on foot if required or file flight plans and navigate to any part of the planet you wish, you know, just like a real GPS thing!!
By Paul_Sengupta
Crash one wrote:You’ve no idea what goes on in my brain. 30 years ago I thought, why can’t we put maps/charts on Microfiche that the pilot could roll up down and sideways.

That's exactly what we did have 30-40-odd years ago. We have this in the Harrier at Brooklands if you want to have a look. In fact, we've got one outside the Harrier as well, which you can see as a stand alone unit. The rolling was automatic!
By Paul_Sengupta
Dave W wrote:You can see that concept working in a Jaguar T Mk.2 on YouTube. Look for one of the episodes of the "Test Pilot" documentary from 1985.

I was just looking through this now...

Amusing part at 16:36 where there's a book..."Mathematics for Engineers - Dull". :D

"It's the sort of book that when you put it down, you can't pick it back up again." :lol:

https://youtu.be/vFfWqd9p33k?t=996

The bit we want is at 41:00.

https://youtu.be/vFfWqd9p33k?t=2460
Dave W liked this
Crash one wrote:You’ve no idea what goes on in my brain. 30 years ago I thought, why can’t we put maps/charts on Microfiche that the pilot could roll up down and sideways.

Forty five years ago I was an Air Cadet on camp at RAF Gutersloh loking at the system fitted to Jaguars that was exactly that. The rolling was done automatically by the INS.
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:
johnm wrote:An interesting development for those who like to translate IFR as I follow roads...

Or possibly @Crash one is not so nuts and the development is merely a natural progression whereby one can fly over a true representation of the picture below, rather than the poor representation of charts. Maybe with an open mind and a bit of getting used to we would all wonder why anyone would choose not to have an actual photograph of what we are flying and navigating over? :wink:

I'd like to give it a go. :thumright:

When flying I have no real interest in geography other than the altitude of the ground......
Nick liked this