Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Plenty of time to show unable to notice some airspace boundary, (or ignore a clearance restriction if inside CAS) or unable to hold a heading or level, that they don't consider en route checks, be unable to plan 20 miles or divert 20 miles.
@flybymike I once (on a prof check) had to take control to stop someone busting their 2000' max vertical clearance on CAS departure to be told "it's ok, they can't see me, I don't have mode c". Coming back in, with the same 2000' vertical limit he started at 1500' at the VRP to join downwind, so any sane pilot might be expected to do a gentle descent over a few miles into the downwind, but unbelievably I had to stop him 'vertically' again.
(in case you were wondering, he didn't pass)
flybymike, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I have held a UK PPL LIFETIME license since 1991 which cost me a lot of money and allows me to fly single engine up to 5700KG so why should I have to pay to change my license because THEY change the rules. This is a money making scam. They did this to is with driving licenses making us pay every 10 years to have a new photo ID. I am sure many other countries wouldn't put up with this so why do we?
Skyflyer69 wrote:I have held a UK PPL LIFETIME license since 1991 which cost me a lot of money and allows me to fly single engine up to 5700KG so why should I have to pay to change my license because THEY change the rules.

Who is making you change your licence?

They did this to is with driving licenses making us pay every 10 years to have a new photo ID.

My driving licence doesn't have a photo...
kanga liked this
PaulB wrote:
They did this to is with driving licenses making us pay every 10 years to have a new photo ID.

My driving licence doesn't have a photo...

Then by luck you have not had any interaction with DVLA since the new version was introduced. Otherwise without any choice you will have been forced to have a "European" photo ID driving licence, only valid for 10 years.
Skyflyer69 wrote:I have held a UK PPL LIFETIME license since 1991 which cost me a lot of money and allows me to fly single engine up to 5700KG so why should I have to pay to change my license because THEY change the rules. This is a money making scam. They did this to is with driving licenses making us pay every 10 years to have a new photo ID. I am sure many other countries wouldn't put up with this so why do we?

It appears that you have joined the forum just to post this whinge, and so may not be fully appraised of the history behind EASA and pilot licensing.

Fact - up until April 20th this year you have been/will be able to fly any of the aircraft you flew before on your existing licence (albeit with some qualification or limitations). This deadline may well be further extended.

Fact - pilots in the other 27 EASA states will have had to go through just the same licence conversion as in the UK, so it’s not a ‘money making scam’ dreamt up by the CAA. I’m sure most of the CAA staff would rather not have had to go through all the pain of licence conversion administration themselves, but concentrate on more important things.

Fact - the CAA is mandated by law to recover their costs, plus a margin, so they have little choice but to pass those costs on. They are under pressure every year from the rest of the industry to increase GA related charges, as they see themselves as subsiding us.

Fact - the CAA have introduced such things as the PMD, training in permit types, IFR approval for permit types etc all of which are aimed at lowering the costs of GA. How does this equate to a ‘money-making scam’?

Fact - your lifetime licence was valid ‘unless suspended, revoked ...etc’. At the moment nothing has changed, and depending on our future status in EASA, and the top point above, you may be able to carry on as before indefinitely. Equally you may have to shell out for an EASA licence. Well tough luck, snowflake, sometimes shyte happens.

Sit back, take a while to count your blessings, and contemplate that the mere fact you can fly at all makes you very lucky and privileged. :thumright:
mick w, jrp, Shoestring Flyer and 8 others liked this
skydriller wrote:Then by luck you have not had any interaction with DVLA since the new version was introduced. Otherwise without any choice you will have been forced to have a "European" photo ID driving licence, only valid for 10 years.

The licence is valid till you're 70. The photo however, is not.
PaulB wrote:
skydriller wrote:Then by luck you have not had any interaction with DVLA since the new version was introduced. Otherwise without any choice you will have been forced to have a "European" photo ID driving licence, only valid for 10 years.

The licence is valid till you're 70. The photo however, is not.

Tell that to plod...