Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nobody is doubting the built in self righting capability of many of the ‘rigid’ RNLI lifeboats.

However a successful self righting depends on sufficient draught of water under the boat and I should imagine a capsize in shallows after launching, at a rescue or on the way back in would be pretty fraught .

That these thrill seeking, risk taking adrenaline junkies seem to think they are invincible and give no consideration to the possible effects on others of their actions bothers me .

Peter
By lobstaboy
PeteSpencer wrote:That these thrill seeking, risk taking adrenaline junkies seem to think they are invincible and give no consideration to the possible effects on others of their actions bothers me .

Peter

It's a fair point, Peter, but I know quite a few people who think that because I fly small aeroplanes for fun that makes me a thrill seeking, risk taking adrenaline junky who has no consideration as to the possible effects on others of my actions.
So I don't know what to think...
mick w, skydriller, Sooty25 and 2 others liked this
By IMCR
That these thrill seeking, risk taking adrenaline junkies seem to think they are invincible and give no consideration to the possible effects on others of their actions bothers me .

My point - you have no idea whether he was

thrill seeking
a junkie
thought he was invicible
hadnt considered the effect on others

do you?

Maybe you know him, maybe you know his level of exprience, maybe you are a surfer, maybe you have read the reports and believe them. I dont know. If you have or are, I respect your opinion because it is informed and based on the facts (not the press facts I hasten to add).

My point, as ever, it as well to know all the facts, before jumping to conclusions, which might (just might) be far wider of the mark that you imagine, if it is based on press reports and your preconceived ideas that surfing in these conditions is inherently dangerous.

Lobstaboy - exactly.

Personally, I dont now fly singles over long distances over water - only the twin. I did once windsurf from the UK to France. What that says about my perception of risk, I have no idea, but I do know that we are on very dangerous ground when we second guess what individuals do, unless we know all the facts.

So there it is, one man's risk taking, is another's, all in a days work. I know there are some here who will not be convinced, and love a bit of press sensationalism, and whats not to like, it keeps the press barons in business and we all like a good story, so I am good with that.
skydriller liked this
By clarkeysntfc
Another storm, albeit not as severe has been named as Dennis and is apparently arriving over this weekend.
By cockney steve
What seems to have been quietly forgotten in this discussion, is that RNLI, Mountain Rescue and many other organisations of similar ilk are usually staffed at the "sharp-end " by volunteers Yes!- they know the risks and accept the challenge for the "fun" of it. (other sentiments may apply.)
By PeteSpencer
lobstaboy wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:That these thrill seeking, risk taking adrenaline junkies seem to think they are invincible and give no consideration to the possible effects on others of their actions bothers me .

Peter

It's a fair point, Peter, but I know quite a few people who think that because I fly small aeroplanes for fun that makes me a thrill seeking, risk taking adrenaline junky who has no consideration as to the possible effects on others of my actions.
So I don't know what to think...

You mean you'd go fly your aeroplane in conditions like we've experienced over the last few days? :roll:

Peter
By PeteSpencer
cockney steve wrote:What seems to have been quietly forgotten in this discussion, is that RNLI, Mountain Rescue and many other organisations of similar ilk are usually staffed at the "sharp-end " by volunteers Yes!- they know the risks and accept the challenge for the "fun" of it. (other sentiments may apply.)

But even mountain climbers would not knowingly set off to climb mountains in the teeth of a howling gale with blizzard/white out conditions.

Its all a matter of degree: My opinion is to surf in mountainous seas which would roll a lifeboat and winds that rip roofs off buildings is pushing it a bit.

But it's horses for courses I'm entitled to my opinions and you are entitled to yours:
I don't propose to submit to a playground kicking like in the old days for voicing an opinion.

Peter
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By GonzoEGLL
IMCR wrote:

My point, as ever, it as well to know all the facts, before jumping to conclusions, which might (just might) be far wider of the mark that you imagine

Completely agree.

Can I quote that the next time an airspace infringement thread starts? :thumright:
By flybymike
Can I quote that the next time an airspace infringement thread starts? :thumright:

By my count we’ve had nine of them shut down so far, including the option to have polls on the subject, so sometimes the facts can be elusive.
By IMCR
Thats a point you could well imagine there are more than a few here with vested interests and all to ready to jump on anyone with a different opinion. You might well think that, but I am in no position to comment. ;-) Still, never let the facts get in the way of a good debate, but I will say if you think they were mountainous waves, I have seen waves nearly as big in my hot tub. Google surfing in Portugal if you wish to see some real mountains.
By Mike Tango
IMCR wrote:Thats a point you could well imagine there are more than a few here with vested interests and all to ready to jump on anyone with a different opinion.

Care to elaborate further?

One benefit of the oft tiresome and ill informed threads here being binned is at least you don’t get libellous content being posted by the supposed moderator/admin as you do elsewhere.
By The Admin Team
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Ref. some of the posts in the last page or so: Don't poke at each other, please.

Good humour, patience and mutual respect make this a much more pleasant place to visit.
kanga liked this
By IMCR
Ref. some of the posts in the last page or so: Don't poke at each other, please.

Good humour, patience and mutual respect make this a much more pleasant place to visit.

That is refreshing.

I seem to recall that I posted an opinion about the surfer, which I entirely accept was just that, and not supported by all, but it was justified to the extent my argument was reasoned. There followed a tirade . I am saddened that there does seem to be some partisan on the forum. We might not share the same views all the time, but I would hope there is room for different opinions.

And yes, I am happy to eleaborate without poking at anyone. I have rarely seen libellous content on other forums (or here). There is a big difference between libel, and expressing an opinion about policy. I have no doubt truly libellous content would be prosecuted appropriately. My point, was I dont mind the least hearing from vested interests, but it would be rather nice to know what those interests are, sometimes because you get the feeling they go out of their way to kill off discussion for the wrong, and not the right reasons.

As a case in point, I find the link between surfing and infringements some what tenuous, but I was happy to embrace the connection that was made, I hope in a genuinely constructive manner. It however seems odd to bring it up, when, with almost the next breath the discussion on that topic is argued to have run its course - which indeed it probably has. With apologies, I just find the logic confusing.