Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
PaulB wrote:There will be 8560 unhappy bunnies if it isn't (and a few happy AMEs? :-) )

Unlikely.

There is a sizeable number of AMEs who don't do LAPL medicals because it is the group where there is the least guidance from the CAA and the relatively largest amount of candidates who have (often complex) medical issues.

Add to that the lack of appetite of private pilots to fork out for medical examinations let alone additional work that needs to be done when there are extensive complex medical issues and you can see why this is not a particularly attractive part of the work available to AMEs especially as there is enough Class 1 (easy and best paid) Class 2 (easier than LAPLs and better paid) work around.

When there is no extension to the PMD and the CAA would know that already then it would be really good for them to publish this, otherwise there will not be a lot of GA flying past 8/4.
There will be 8560 unhappy bunnies if it isn't (and a few happy AMEs?

I don't know what the real number is, but there will be many people who have a PMD but who fly on a class II or other medical. That said, I am sure there will be significant numbers affected.

The official line from the CAA (there's an interview with Rachel Gardner-Poole, head of the CAA's GA Unit) in the next issue is…

We are working with the government to see if there is a way forward to enable pilots to continue to fly EASA aircraft using the self-declaration process.

Clearly everyone will be hoping that the CAA can report some positive news between now and April 8, but I'd advise anyone flying an EASA aircraft on a PMD and able to get a LAPL or class II medical to do so.

Ian
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
Wot he said.

And don't forget - you can now use a LAPL Medical to validate a PPL and fly using LAPL privileges (but validating the licence in accordance with PPL regulations)

So a plan would be:

1. Check if you would be able to get a LAPL issued by a GP (by virtue of not having any of the 25 odd conditions which preclude the issue of a GP issued LAPL medical if you can;
2. Check with your GP (it has to be your GP or a GP in your practice as they need to have access to your GP notes) if they are willing to issue one - be happy if they do and happily pay the money they would take for it up to and including the fee they would normally charge for the issue of an HGV Medical.
3. If they are not contact your previous AME and ask them for an appointment asap for a LAPL or Class 2 Medical.
4. If they dont have time/capacity contact any other AME and go to them.
5. Don't moan at the AME for the change of rules - nothing to do with us. See previous post. AMEs are not the regulator, don't work for the regulator, are not the politicians organising the regulations.
Dodo, PaulB, kanga liked this
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Just wondering...
Are we still offically at this moment a member of EASA ?

Yes. Why wouldn't we be? We have lost our seat at the top table though, so have to accept rules that we have no say in creating.
G-BLEW wrote:The official line from the CAA (there's an interview with Rachel Gardner-Poole, head of the CAA's GA Unit) in the next issue is…

We are working with the government to see if there is a way forward to enable pilots to continue to fly EASA aircraft using the self-declaration process.

Clearly everyone will be hoping that the CAA can report some positive news between now and April 8, but I'd advise anyone flying an EASA aircraft on a PMD and able to get a LAPL or class II medical to do so.

That's pretty glum news, isn't it? I wonder what is preventing them from extending it to say 31/12/20? Did they have to "work with government" to do it in the first place?

TBH the answer from the Ms Gardner-Poole seems to be a bit of a fob off and it seems tat the CAA is in danger of digging itself quite a deep hole (and throwing >8000 pilots into it! :-( )
PaulB wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:The official line from the CAA (there's an interview with Rachel Gardner-Poole, head of the CAA's GA Unit) in the next issue is…

That's pretty glum news, isn't it? I wonder what is preventing them from extending it to say 31/12/20? Did they have to "work with government" to do it in the first place?

TBH the answer from the Ms Gardner-Poole seems to be a bit of a fob off and it seems tat the CAA is in danger of digging itself quite a deep hole (and throwing >8000 pilots into it! :-( )

A couple of personal thoughts…

- I don't think it is a 'fob off' - it's a 'corporate' reply that is probably aligned with CAA/DfT policy. Given the situation we're in (transition period) and how politically charged the bigger picture is, I expected nothing different.
- Yes, I would imagine that the CAA did have to go though DfT. and I imagine they'll have to do so now.
- I realise this doesn't help, but it was always an exemption and never came with any guarantee of being renewed. The problem has been created by the CAA making something possible that is impossible in every other EASA state, so it seems a bit strange to hit them with this stick.
- If it is not renewed UK pilots with PMDs will still be significantly better off than pilots without LAPL or Class II medicals in any other EASA state.
- Please don't take that as me not having any sympathy for those affected.

Ian

Ian
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO, kanga liked this