Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Another detrimental change made by the new management.

As a based aircraft I could do an instrument approach for about £4.50 ish plus the landing fee. Did it fairly often to keep the rust away. No prebooking, just fitted in with other traffic or on rare occasions the request was declined.

No warning, no explanation now £17 ish.
This forum must be the most doom and gloom ridden forum of all time. Why we bother learning to fly for pleasure beats me.
Nothing but rules, regulations, licences, medicals, airfield closures, airspace grabs, EASA, Brexit, and whatever else you can think of to put a damper on the whole business.
Flying off a farm strip surrounded by class G, I wonder when the creeping death is going to get here!
Crash one wrote:This forum must be the most doom and gloom ridden forum of all time. Why we bother learning to fly for pleasure beats me.
Nothing but rules, regulations, licences, medicals, airfield closures, airspace grabs, EASA, Brexit, and whatever else you can think of to put a damper on the whole business.
Flying off a farm strip surrounded by class G, I wonder when the creeping death is going to get here!

Hopefully never, although I suspect that it will eventually be banned, probably "for our own good" and all sorts of other good reasons....in the meantime Staverton should throw grass seed on the collapsing runways, turn the control tower into a pub and save staff costs to pay the 24hr lighting bill......although the first week of the new regime could be illuminated by the burning pyre of HiVis outerwear, booking out forms, booking in forms, management meeting minutes full of meaningless platitudes and the odd desk.......
Well, back to the thread then.....

We went to Staverton today to visit the Ardent paint guys.

The area was a buzz, several aeroplanes inbound, a guy with an undercarriage issue and me racing a Pitts to the overhead (I won) :pirat:

Very professionally handled and we all got down safely and as a new visitor, I was guided on the ground most well. Went to visit said painter - suitably impressed and a suggestion for lunch was taken up.

Aviator caff superb.

Booked out, had a laugh with the glamorous assistant - waited for my buddy to catch up, which he did and we departed together.

All in all, I was most impressed and would deffo go back, probably at a weekend to see the museum. Any chatter about restrictions etc etc - pah, fiddlesticks.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Colonel Panic, Cowshed, Paul_Sengupta and 4 others liked this
At the meeting the other day, it was stated the Runway 18/36 would be closed Perm.

The management are aware of the volume of Tfc that uses 04/22 and stated that it was a priority to get it re-opened this year.

04/22 Grass to be retained. Three of us used it the other day and having landed on it twice on consecutive days, not a spec of mud got thrown up, hence I was delighted.

It was stated that High - Vis was the norm when visiting airfields such as Kemble, Turweston etc.
Well I’m sure few of us have ever seen the great crew, let alone visiting pilots wearing anything of the sort at Turweston!

I am currently based and have no beef, however Turweston was my Number 1 for refuelling and I will hopefully continue to visit.
Whenever you go, the traffic flow works and if it takes multiple backtracking when the grass is saturated to make it seamless, brilliant. The sheer volume of visitors and repeat business should be an inspiration to other G.A. airfields, many of whom could learn a lot if they merely observed.
mick w, db liked this
I've just been sent AAN 0720 which seems to be a missive from the Staverton fuhrer.

Clearly states the bolleaux about hi-viz and that 18/36 is going to be shut permanently 'at some point in the future' (real shame). Given that it is currently shut it sounds like they are going to have to re-open it in order to shut it 'at some point in the future'... what is this chap smoking?

It also says that 09/27 will be subject to a 'full runway repave' and 04/22 will get a 'resurface'. Anybody know the difference?