Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Is there credit given for having passed the ‘full’ (ie not CB) IR TK exams?

I thought there was some, but can’t find it in the FCL Easy Access doc.
By NDB_hold
Thanks.

The problem I am immediately coming across is that while I can self study for the CPL TK, how do I get hold of material to learn from without signing up to CAPT/CATS etc?

There are no shortage of ATPL study books out there but CPL...?
By marioair
GrahamB wrote:Is there credit given for having passed the ‘full’ (ie not CB) IR TK exams?

It’s human performance and IFR comms If I recall correctly.
By AlanC
GrahamB wrote:Is there credit given for having passed the ‘full’ (ie not CB) IR TK exams?

Appendix 1 to Annex 1 refers, specifically:

2.3. Applicants for the issue of a CPL having passed the relevant theoretical knowledge examinations for an IR in the same category of aircraft are credited towards the theoretical knowledge requirements in human performance and meteorology unless they have completed the IR training course in accordance with Appendix 6, Section Aa, to this Annex (Part-FCL).
2.4. Applicants for a CPL having passed the relevant theoretical knowledge examinations for an IR or EIR in the same category of aircraft are credited towards the theoretical knowledge requirements in the communications subject.

Section Aa refers to the CB-IR and associated TK, so your original "full IR" exams give you credit towards HP, Met, and Comms for the CPL exams, although only towards Comms for the ATPL exams - not that that's what you're after :thumleft: .
Last edited by AlanC on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrahamB liked this
By marioair
What exams are you exempt from if you’ve done the CBIR and which section of FCl is that in?
By GrahamB
marioair wrote:What exams are you exempt from if you’ve done the CBIR and which section of FCl is that in?

Comms, as per above.

(Although in my copy of the Easy Access rules, it’s in Appendix 1 to Annex I)
By AlanC
GrahamB wrote:(Although in my copy of the Easy Access rules, it’s in Appendix 1 to Annex I)

So it is. Original bit duly amended! It had been a long week by then...
GrahamB liked this
By JonnyS
So here's a question. I'm a LAPL, converting to a PPL, to then do CPL TK and FI.

At the moment the conversion to PPL is being hit by bad weather, and I can't start CPL TK with an ATO because I need the PPL in my hand.

In light of this latest revelation, I could start CPL TK self-study now? As @NDB_hold says, what books should I buy? Do I just buy the Jeppesen ATPL books and study the bits that I need to? I may as well do something with these unflyable weekends!
By marioair
Bathman wrote:My two pence worth if you have the hours do the FI and the CRI first then if you c an't get anywork do the CPL TK

i have the hours to do the FI, but not the spare time to do the CRI and then the FI course!
By Bathman
If you do the FI course and you meet the requirements for the cRI then off the back of the FI course you can apply and get issued with an FI rating and a CRI rating.

You do of course have to pay the usual CAA fee.

Such qualifications offer some advantages over a plain vanilla FI with out CPL TK.
By marioair
sorry don't quite understand. if i do an FI and qualify i can get a CRI too. ok. what's the significance of the CPL TK or not to that?
By Bathman
Correct.

If you haven't got CPL TK then you are "LAPL only". The CRI allows you to teach for class ratings and hour with instructor to any type of licence holder (stanby for incoming debate)

Also a CRI doesn't need any form of supervision so it does give you some operating flexibility
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By WelshRichy
Bathman wrote:If you do the FI course and you meet the requirements for the cRI then off the back of the FI course you can apply and get issued with an FI rating and a CRI rating.

You do of course have to pay the usual CAA fee.

Such qualifications offer some advantages over a plain vanilla FI with out CPL TK.

That is quite interesting and quick question if you don't mind...

Would you know if the ATO would require specific approval for the CRI(SE) course in addition to the FI course in order to have a CRI added to the licence on the basis of the FI(R) - assuming I pass? The ATO I am booked into has approval for the FIC but not the CRI course.

Also, would I need to notify the Examiner that the AoC will also be for the CRI as well as FI? Or do the CAA just issue the CRI on the basis of the FI course completion as I presume we have covered everything? Assuming I pay the additional fee due...
By GrahamB
JonnyS wrote:In light of this latest revelation, I could start CPL TK self-study now? As @NDB_hold says, what books should I buy? Do I just buy the Jeppesen ATPL books and study the bits that I need to? I may as well do something with these unflyable weekends!

I think that's a lot of money to spend on content half of which you will disregard! Also, without painful trawling through the EASA CPL learning objectives, or guidance from an ATO, how will you know which bits to concentrate on?

You might be better off signing up for the CAPT on-line course and pdf study material where at least the content will be focussed on just what you need. The optional three study days on-site are no longer required for a PPL/FI, but may be worth budgeting for anyway.
JonnyS liked this