Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By tomshep
The local news is reporting this morning that:
"Local councillors have lifted night flying restrictions on Old Sarum."
"The grass strip airfield is not suitable for noisy aircraft."
"Night flying is not likely to become permanent."
I am fairly sure that there are no existing night flying restrictions.
The lemming launcher is a turboprop caravan and not exactly silent.
Night flying requires airfield ground lighting which was torn out of the ground some months ago and will need reinstating. That might take some time. That said, it is cold today so if somebody does see Old Nick skating to work...
By chevvron
tomshep wrote:Anybody can jump into a fast car, scare themselves silly and park it on the drive afterwards to show off to the neighbours.

Likewise anyone can buy a speedboat, strap on a 200hp outboard motor and scare themselves silly on a river even if the speed limit is as low as 5mph; it's getting caught doing it that will hurt.
You don't need any form of training or license to operate a boat under 75 ft long on inland waterways.
By Sooty25
tomshep wrote:The local news is reporting this morning that:
"The grass strip airfield is not suitable for noisy aircraft."

:shock: classic media!
By kanga
chevvron wrote:..
You don't need any form of training or license to operate a boat under 75 ft long on inland waterways.

but do not the boats themselves (if over a certain size ?) need some sort of registration and permit from, eg, Waterways Trust or Thames Conservancy ? And is the named therein 'registered owner' in some way responsible for whoever might be 'operating' it on the cited waterway ? In ignorance, as ever .. :oops:

Back to aviation: a floatplane (most well under 75' long) is just a boat, innit .. :wink:
By TCornish
The landing lights have been re-installed, as have the wind socks too. I understand the café will be open only for when parachute operations are taking place and/or three days a week.
Ben K liked this
By B1engineer
Anyone know what's happened to Airsport microlight school/club?
There website states there at Old Serum, I assume they just haven't updated.
By chevvron
TCornish wrote:The landing lights have been re-installed, as have the wind socks too. I understand the café will be open only for when parachute operations are taking place and/or three days a week.

Still NOTAMmed closed until 29 Jan though.
What happens on the 30th I wonder? :twisted:
By Mad Girl
Anyone know what's happened to Airsport microlight school/club?
There website states there at Old Serum, I assume they just haven't updated.

airsport uk have moved to a nearby strip.

Mark has been on holiday, but give him a call if you need him - number is the same.
B1engineer, Ben K liked this
By PlaneStupid
The owner continues to attempt to chip away at the land. An attempt to sneak a hand car wash wash, without planning permission, has been thwarted.

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news ... old-sarum/

The owner appears to be outraged as he believes the planning officer is “incorrect” and "We are trying to do our best for the airfield, and we are being attacked left and right."

What? Like excluding all GA and running it down to its knees? Basically the owner has been asset stripping for years.
James Chan liked this
By tomshep
You could put a nice hangar on that and probably need no permission to do so.
Thanks PS, you just made my day. :lol:
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's in a bit of a strange place now - what will town planners do with it? Transform it back to an operational local airport (with conditions attached) as part of a regionwide transport network, or leave it as unused/closed grass?
By PlaneStupid
Very much depends on what the leaseholders decide what to do. Hopefully, they will recognise that they’re not going to get anywhere with planning applications and sell to a heritage trust of individuals who truly care about aviation. Unfortunately, they’ve sunk and wasted so much into getting the development through, they probably won’t. It seems as though the man behind the whole thing doesn’t like to lose and may well refuse to accept defeat and persist in throwing good money after bad, so it could drag on for years. There’s also the other very vague possibility that Wiltshire Council will step in and make a compulsory purchase. However, I imagine like all authorities, they are strapped for cash and would be reluctant to take OS on.

There was at one time a valuation by the leaseholders of £40 million but that was upon the assumption that there was planning approval. I assume the real figure would be currently substantially less.
By Ben K
James Chan wrote:It's in a bit of a strange place now - what will town planners do with it? Transform it back to an operational local airport (with conditions attached) as part of a regionwide transport network, or leave it as unused/closed grass?

Regionwide transport network...from OS?!

Which AOC holder would be providing said transport and how, exactly?