Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
I have just had my Class 2 medical and my AME suggested that I go down the LAPL Medical route as I do not need the privileges of the Class 2 so it would be a cost saving. I have been thinking about this for sometime as I fly single or 2 seat Permit aircraft and my IMC rating has long since lapsed.

My AME said I just need to apply for a LAPL Licence (i think) and surrender my EASA PPL and presumable my UK PPL?? as well. My bi-annual is due in Feb 2020 so I'm assuming I need hour with an instructor who then signs my Log Book and that's it?? I understand the LAPL rolling currency process based on the date of my next flight (I fly around 40hrs / year) so shouldn't be an issue.

I have looked on the CAA site as to process regarding the actual licence conversion, but it's not clear how to do it (or the costs involved).

Can someone knowledgable point in the right direction or highlight what I need to do to obtain a LAPL licence.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You don't need to convert your licence just get the LAPL compliant medical situation sorted and your PPL is then restricted to LAPL privileges.
I thought the rules had recently changed to allow a LAPL medical to be used with a PPL licence. Why would you need to convert the licence?
If you do what is suggested above, the flight privileges will be LAPL privileges [1] but the revalidation will remain PPL as the underlying licence is a PPL.

[1] what changed was to allow the PPL licence to assume LAPL privileges. It was November last year and there were quite a few threads here about it.
Yes.... if you fly with a PPL licence but LAPL medical, your flight privileges will be LAPL (vfr only, max 3 pax etc.) but your revalidation requirements will be PPL as the licence remains a PPL.

So that is either a flight test with an examiner or 12 hours (6 of which need to be PIC) and 1 hour (may be spilt into different flights) with an instructor. If the FI who completes the hour’s instruction is FCL.945 then they can sign the licence to extend the rating, otherwise it has to be an examiner. All this needs to be in the second of the 2 year SEP validity.

Don’t forget to get your instructional flights signed by the FI

I’m bound to have forgotten some detail that we can now argue over.
By Irv Lee
Groundlooper wrote:My AME said I just need to apply for a LAPL Licence

Plus ça change....
I wonder how many others he/she has told that since November and cost them money by trying to save it? However, as @Paul_Sengupta said, you could have been using a free medical declaration for years as it sounds like you are flying non EASA aircraft in the UK.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Also, if you don't fly outside the UK, you can even do a medical self declaration, which works out even cheaper (it's free!). :D

If they extend the exemption beyond April....
By Irv Lee
PaulB wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Also, if you don't fly outside the UK, you can even do a medical self declaration, which works out even cheaper (it's free!). :D

@Groundlooper isn't flying EASA aircraft.... so April doesn't come into it - this could all be on the UK PPL mentioned.
Irv Lee wrote:
PaulB wrote:

@Groundlooper isn't flying EASA aircraft.... so April doesn't come into it - this could all be on the UK PPL mentioned.

Ahhh... right.... I'm not doubting it does, but where does the ANO say that a UK PPL is OK with an EASA LAPL medical (Is there a current thread about this?)
By Irv Lee
It took me under a minute to check my 'combos' webpage and two minutes from scratch on a slow laptop to confirm it in the ANO, which says that a UK PPL is ok with an EASA LAPL medical - but that particular post just above was about using a PMD !
However, I won't keep you guessing, try Article 163 which is about medical requirements for national licences
(2) Subject to paragraph (7), the holder of a specified licence, or of a licence which includes the
privileges of a specified licence, may exercise any of the privileges of the specified licence if the
holder has—
(a) ....
(b) a medical certificate granted under Section 2 of Subpart A of Part-MED, including one
which is valid for a Light Aircraft Pilot Licence issued under Part-FCL; or
(c) ......

and if you are wondering about "para 7" mentioned, it's about colour blindness for night flying (or not)
PaulB liked this
Irv Lee wrote:It took me under a minute to check my 'combos' webpage)

I always find that it's much easier to find stuff when I know where it is..... It's much harder when I don't know where I put it. :lol:

Thanks anyway.....