For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Spooky wrote:Perhaps Amanda, like many, is sick to the back teeth of the propaganda nonsense that passes for news nowadays and avoids it. Can’t say I’d blame her :lol:

But on a serious note, I do know people that have overcome mental health issues by simply deleting social media and news from their lives :)

What a fantastic observation, and quite well backed up by actual clinical evidence. The peer reviewed journal studies might not be there, but lack of evidence isn’t evidence of lack et...

We aren’t, as social animals, built to have networks of more than “a handful” of connections, from what I can gather via various sources - including how our brains are hard wired at a neurophysiological level.

The “old adage” that in parts of the UK, for hundreds of years - the furthest most folks travelled was 20 miles or so - isn’t such a surprise.

It’s also no surprise that many have serious issues with the “always on” and apparently ever expanding circles of “contacts”. We didn’t evolve like that.

What we have is a massive overload of social data. Some more than others are better at processing that data into useful information than others.

How one human reacts to that overload isn’t exactly random, but neither can we choose which “clan” we are. A lot of it is, from what I’ve researched at least, physiological and hence “hard wired”.

Even though “introvert” and “extrovert” aren’t maybe “correct” - they are concepts most will be able to anchor onto.

An introvert will have a tendency to be quickly overloaded, and express stress related hormonal markers as such, when exposed to “too much” social interaction. Their reaction will be often to pull back and try to isolate themselves.

Extroverts will, surprisingly, also show hormonal stress markers when socially overloaded. From what I remember, there was no evidence to suggest “extroverts” craved those stressors, they just weren’t as badly impacted.

Net net result- we as a species don’t seem to be built for the modern “connected” world. Some of us seem to have a better biological basis for being able to counteract the stress of “always on” (and that’s not a measure of intellect or strength by any measure btw).

IMHO, none of us fare well with the over-connected world- and from what I’ve researched, most of us fare worse than others.

Yes, this is a subject that’s fascinated me for decades, and well before “social media”
PaulB, Spooky, akg1486 liked this
kanga wrote:
akg1486 wrote:Greta (or, more likely, her social media assistant) has played with the name and description on the Twitter account before as a funny response to criticism by Trump and Brazilian president Bolsonaro. ..

Some more of Ms Thunberg's (and I have no reason to doubt that it is she herself :) )
Twitter self-description changes in response to others are mentioned here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50989594

:thumright:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/12 ... sts-edited

Glitch on Facebook revealed who was editing pages :lol:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Spooky wrote:Glitch on Facebook revealed who was editing pages :lol:

And there was me thinking that all those Twitter messages from Johnson to me were written to me personally by him, each and everyone.

The only 'celebrity' who does his own tweeting is Donald Trump.

From how I read that article, the page being edited was a Facebook page containing copies/excerpts from Twitter. (I don't use FB myself, so I haven't seen those.) They aren't claiming that Ms Thunberg didn't write the tweets or Twitter profile data.

Either way, I wouldn't be terribly upset if it turned out some clever wording was the work of an assistant. Of course, it would be worrying if some of Donalds' tweets were posted by a lowly intern without review. :shock:
kanga liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Spooky wrote:Glitch on Facebook revealed who was editing pages :lol:

And there was me thinking that all those Twitter messages from Johnson to me were written to me personally by him, each and everyone.

The only 'celebrity' who does his own tweeting is Donald Trump.

I’d agree with that :lol:
johnm wrote:Still seeking lame excuses to try and devalue her message are we

"Her" message has been around for far longer than she has been around to preach it .
It isn't "her" message at all , it is one that most of the civilised world has been aware of for decades , and the majority of the civilised world has been working at to resolve .
Thunberg is simply the naive schoolkid who thinks it is her duty to save the world . She only heard about all this a few years ago .

Does rather remind me of the story about the Irishman who walked up to the Jewish guy and pushed him over .
"Why did you do that " , said the Jewish chap . " It was you fellas who were responsible for crucifying the Lord Jesus " , came the reply .

"That was over 2,000 years ago " said the Jewish guy .

Says Paddy , "Well , I only heard about it yesterday" ...
skydriller, Bobcro liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Disagree by all means. I’ve always been willing to listen to any reasoned argument and have been known to change my mind in the face of an argument superior to my own.

However infantile criticism by the Daily Express direct or relayed by others doesn’t count, on this topic or any other :twisted:
Whilst Australia burns, the herberts who thought they knew better and banned Aboriginal controlled burning , no doubt for environmental reasons, may now reconsider their actions. For thousands of years controlled burning was a cultural thing with them and they will know more than we will ever learn about fire.
johnm, rogerb, Spooky and 1 others liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:Whilst Australia burns, the herberts who thought they knew better and banned Aboriginal controlled burning , no doubt for environmental reasons, may now reconsider their actions. For thousands of years controlled burning was a cultural thing with them and they will know more than we will ever learn about fire.

But the herberts have degrees and computers, what do a bunch of thick farmers and Aborigines with sticks know about tending the land?