Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ozplane
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just out of interest, was there ever a time when Lycomings and Continentals went "walkabout"? I suppose they may be too heavy or not so attractive as a target.
By flyingeeza
ozplane wrote:Just out of interest, was there ever a time when Lycomings and Continentals went "walkabout"? I suppose they may be too heavy or not so attractive as a target.

Nope, no market for them...they cost way too much to maintain than to buy outright! :D
Don't ask... :D
By riverrock
You don't want a Lycosaurus in anything but an aircraft, and engineers tend to check provinance, while you can use a rotax in various other machines.
By PaulB
riverrock wrote:......while you can use a rotax in various other machines.

What sort of things..... I'm guessing that they're sold on eBay (or similar)
By Paul_Sengupta
riverrock wrote:You don't want a Lycosaurus in anything but an aircraft

This sort of thing uses them as well. Admittedly not much demand in Europe...

By Sooty25
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

Dunno, state of our strip at the moment that might come in handy.
seanxair, Nick, Charles Hunt liked this
By Chris Martyr
Make no mistake . The reason why 9-series Rotax's are so nickable , is due to the fact that Rotax won't sell you any spares that require 'invasive maintenance' . [i.e. splitting the crankcase]

You can order your 9-series Rotax spares from the Rotax agent . But if it is anything other than an 'external bolt-on' , they will ask which approved Rotax agent you want your spares sent to . They don't want you fitting them yourself .

This is what makes serviceable , 'second-hand' Rotax spares so attractive .

If they removed their monopoly , then the crazy price of second-hand Rotax 912 spares would level off and become normal .

The reason why 9-series Rotax spares are such a covetted commodity , is due to Rotax themselves .

Customer commitment ......but not as we know it .
By tomshep
Quite right and almost certainly an unlawful practice. I have rebuilt MUCH better engines than a 912 and there is absolutely nothing special about the Rotax. Hondas are much more finicky.
By johnm
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

Hmmm the one I had a ride on in Florida had two 7 litre Chevvy V8s :shock:
By Ibra
johnm wrote:Hmmm the one I had a ride on in Florida had two 7 litre Chevvy V8s :shock:

Did you logged any PIC hours with that?

Now I get it when people claim they got a cheap hour building flying in everglades park :lol:
johnm liked this