Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Any chance you could add a bit more info in the title Steve?

Which channel? Where are the danger areas? What are the height restrictions?

You really aren't trying hard enough

Rob P ;)

Doing my best @Rob L
nallen, Ben K, Rob L and 1 others liked this
Sir Morley Steven wrote:For the next few months NOTAMd and up to 1500 ft.
Well there goes my recreation of Operation Jericho in CW!

Straits of Dover; drones being used for 'Maritme Surveillance'; (well since the Nimrods were withdrawn and until Posiedons - first one due to arrive at Kinloss in Feb 2020 - start ops we haven't got anything else have we?)
:twisted: Thinks: Wonder if they're armed to be used against illegal immigrants :twisted:
The AIC says 'up to 1,200ft amsl'; do you really fly that low across the channel?
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
There's a military radar unit now operating from the airfield at Calais Marck (Or Calais Dunkerque as we now say.)

Rob P
Rob P wrote:There's a military radar unit now operating from the airfield at Calais Marck (Or Calais Dunkerque as we now say.)

Rob P

Used to be an HM Coastguard operated radar at Dover for maritime (surface) surveillance; is it still there?
By Stampe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Drones are about the size of a Eurostar twin engined with a 180kg payload and 20 hour endurance.I have seen them quite a bit recently at Lydd.The airport closes whilst the drone launches there is a temporary danger zone corridor to get it to its specified TDA operating area.Amusingly this corridor passes over the nuclear station which is surprising for a form of flying machine that the CAA consider highly dangerous!Why it’s needed is a bit of a mystery because the sea state is the best predictor of illegals crossing the Channel.A very expensive way to detect a highly predictable appearance and surface maritime interception will still be required !